Information for student exchange organisations
An International Secondary Student Exchange (ISSE) offers a cultural and educational experience for Queensland school high students.
It is a reciprocal program where students attend a high school in another country, while students from other countries study in Queensland. The maximum period for any exchange program is 12 months.
Students participating in a registered student exchange program are exempt from paying tuition fees.
These programs are offered by registered student exchange organisations.
Schools and exchange organisations must meet State legislative requirements to obtain and maintain approval:
- Queensland's Education (Overseas Students) Act 2018
- Queensland Guidelines for the operation of international secondary student exchange programs (PDF, 1MB).
Application and change forms
All forms must be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
Contact us on (07) 3513 6748 if you do not receive an immediate email acknowledging receipt of your submission.
Applying for approval to provide an international secondary student exchange program in Queensland
Only registered student exchange organisations (SEO) can offer a high school student exchange program.
Both schools and not-for-profit organisations can apply to become an SEO:
- schools need to complete the SEO 1 - Application for approval to operate a student exchange program in Queensland (Schools) (DOCX, 74KB)
- not-for profit organisations need to complete the SEO 1 - Application for approval to operate a student exchange program in Queensland (Not-for-Profit) (DOCX, 353KB).
For current SEOs
The following forms and processes apply to current SEOs.
Sending a student on exchange
- SEO 3 - Acceptance Advice for Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) request form (DOCX, 188KB) - request AASES forms.
- SEO 4 - Queensland outbound exchange student notification (XLSX, 29KB) - notify of the details of out-bound students before they leave Australia.
Changing a student's exchange program
- SEO 5 - Amendments to student exchange program details (DOCX, 66KB) - notify of changes to a student's exchange program.
- SEO 6 - Interstate transfer application (DOCX, 68KB) - transfer a student to a new school and host family in another state or territory.
Update SEO details
- SEO 2 - Updated SEO details (DOCX, 63KB) - update SEO registration details.
- SEO 8 – Fit and proper persons declaration' (DOCX, 192KB) - must accompany the SEO 2 form where the SEO is advising of a change in the Principal Executive Officer (PEO) of the organisation.
Applying to renew an approval to provide an international secondary student exchange program in Queensland
- schools need to complete the SEO 9 - Application to renew an approval to operate a student exchange program in Queensland (Schools) (DOCX, 76KB)
- not-for profit organisations need to complete the SEO 9 - Application to renew an approval to operate an ISSE in Queensland (Not-for-Profit) (DOCX, 73KB)
Please be advised, applications to renew an approval must be made at least 3 months before the term of the approval ends.
Surrender of SEO approval
- SEO 7 - Voluntary surrender of SEO approval (DOCX, 67KB) - request a voluntary surrender of approval.
For all school sector enquiries relating to secondary student exchange please:
- phone: (07) 3513 6748
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org