Queensland Academies Isolated Students Bursary
Applications for 2022 are now open.
The Queensland Academies Isolated Students (QAIS) Bursary (Bursary) provides financial support to families of students living away from home to attend one of the Department of Education’s three specialised Queensland Academies in South East Queensland including Creative Industries (Kelvin Grove), Health Science (Gold Coast) and Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (Toowong).
The Bursary—for those who are not eligible for the Living Away From Home Allowance Scheme (LAFHAS)—includes a travel and student accommodation allowance. Neither payment attracts GST and there is no financial means test.
To determine the financial support you may be eligible to receive, please refer to the 2022 QAIS information guide (PDF, 159KB).
To be eligible for a Bursary, all of the following eligibility criteria must be met:
- the student must be currently enrolled in and have satisfactory conduct, progress and attendance at the Academy
- the student is not eligible to receive assistance through LAFHAS
- the student must have a permanent home address in Queensland
- the nearest Queensland Government state school to the student’s permanent family home, with the appropriate year level is located within a Department of Education State School zone of: Outer Regional Australia, Remote Australia or Very Remote Australia
- the student’s travel is at least 3 hours per day from the student’s permanent home address to reach the Academy they are attending using school or public transport service.
Note: A new bursary application must be completed each year on the approved form.
Please download the 2022 QAIS information guide (PDF, 159KB), complete a 2022 QAIS application form (PDF, 373KB) and submit the completed application form via email to the Scholarships and Grants Team on email@example.com—or by post as detailed on page 4 of the application form—by 28 February 2022.
Enquiries regarding the Bursary can be directed by email to the Scholarships and Grants Team, Human Resources Branch on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (07) 3055 2927.