Living Away From Home Allowances Scheme
Due to Covid-19, those applicants who apply using a paper application may experience a delay in processing times. All efforts will be made to process applications within the month of receipt however at this time this is not guaranteed and delays may occur.
You can scan and email a copy of your application to LAFHAS@qed.qld.gov.au or fax to (07) 3034 5890. We apologise for this inconvenience.
The Living Away From Home Allowances Scheme (LAFHAS) supports eligible Queensland families whose children need to live away from home to attend a state school or an accredited non-state school.
This may be because the students home is geographically isolated and/or the nearest school is a bypass school (PDF, 221KB).
What support is available?
The scheme provides financial support through 4 allowances:
- Remote Area Tuition Allowance (RATuA)—helps pay tuition fees charged by non-state boarding schools
- Remote Area Travel Allowance (RATrA)—helps pay a student's travel costs between home and boarding school during holidays
- Remote Area Allowance (RAA)—contributes to the cost of boarding at a state high school campus, to complete approved agricultural courses equivalent to and in lieu of Years 11 and 12
- Remote Area Disability Supplement (RADS)—helps with additional boarding costs for students with disability.
Use the 2021 LAFHAS rates list for information on the monetary support available.
For eligibility criteria please refer to the LAFHAS applicant guidelines (PDF, 404KB).
With regards to special circumstances, consideration may be given to applicants who do not meet residential distance criteria. Special circumstances include impassable roads (PDF, 159KB), itinerant occupations (PDF, 162KB) and additional special circumstances (PDF, 408KB).
For more information about eligibility criteria:
- phone 1800 248 997 (freecall for rural Queensland only) or 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remote Area Disability Supplement (RADS) eligibility
To be eligible for the RADS you also need to:
- ensure your child has been identified through the department's Education Adjustment Program
- prove their travel, tuition and boarding costs are significantly greater than those of students without disability and are in excess of total assistance available from all government agencies.
A bypass school is a rural or remote Queensland state school that may not deliver the programs a senior student needs to complete their chosen areas of study.
Students applying for the LAFHAS can disregard a bypass school when they complete the application's residential distance criteria.
A list of bypass schools (PDF, 221KB) is featured in the bypass schools procedure.
Half of the LAFHAS annual entitlements are paid in Semester 1 and the other half in Semester 2:
- Semester 1: Monthly payments will start after your application is approved and school attendance is confirmed.
- Semester 2: Monthly payments will start once school attendance is confirmed.
Allowances are paid by electronic funds transfer as follows:
- RATuA—paid direct to boarding schools to offset school tuition fee accounts
- RATrA, RAA and RADS—paid direct to applicants' nominated bank accounts.
Use the LAFHAS travel calculator to estimate your total allowance.
2021 LAFHAS rates list
Remote Area Tuition Allowance
Students in Years 1-6
Allowance will cover tuition fees
up to $1,939 per year
Where total tuition costs exceed $1,939 an additional allowance of 50c per $1 over that amount can be claimed
up to a total maximum of $3,873 per year
School fees are $2,500 per year.
$1,939 + $280.50 ($2,500 - $1,939 = $561. 50c per dollar of $561 = $280.50) = $2,219.50
Total Remote Area Tuition allowance will be $2,219.50 per year.
School fees are $6,000 per year.
$1,939 + $2,030.50 ($6,000 - $1,939 = $4,061. 50c per dollar of $4,061 = $2,030.50) = $3,969.50
Total Remote Area Tuition allowance will be $3,873 per year.
Students in Years 7-12
Allowance will cover tuition fees
up to $2,793 per year
Where total tuition costs exceed $2,793 an additional allowance of 50c per $1 over that amount can be claimed
up to a total maximum of $5,576 per year
School fees are $5,000 per year.
$2,793 + $1,103.50 ($5000 - $2,793 = $2,207. 50c per dollar of $2,207 = $1,103.50) = $3,896.50
Total Remote Area Tuition allowance will be $3,896.50 per year.
School fees are $10,000 per year.
$2,793 + $3,603.50 ($10,000 - $2,793 = $7,207. 50c per dollar of $7,207 = $3,603.50) = $6,396.50
Total Remote Area Tuition allowance will be $5,576 per year.
Remote Area Travel Allowance
$146 per student
First 500 km
$0.82 per km
$1.36 per km
Remote Area Allowance
For students attending a campus of a Queensland State High School and undertaking an approved agricultural course in lieu of Years 11 and 12.
$2,435 per student per year
Remote Area Disability Supplement
To compensate additional education costs incurred by students with disabilities to access school*
* The Remote Area Disability Supplement is payable retrospectively, upon lodgement of receipts and where applicants can demonstrate—through documentary evidence—that travel, tuition and boarding accommodation costs are significantly greater than those of students without disabilities and are in excess of total assistance available from all government agencies. Additional tuition fee costs can only be considered if the student is a full-time boarding student at the school.
Up to $7,921
How to apply
The application form must be received by the Department of Education no later than 31 December for the year of application to receive allowances.
You can apply:
- by completing the LAFHAS online form
- by printing and completing a copy of the application form (PDF, 820KB)
- by requesting a paper application package by phoning 1800 248 997 (free call for rural Queensland only) or 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
Send your completed application by
- fax to (07) 3034 5890
- email to Lafhas@qed.qld.gov.au
- mail to: School Financial Resourcing
Department of Education
PO Box 15033 City East QLD 4002
For more information:
- phone 1800 248 997 (free call for rural Queensland only) or 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- email email@example.com.
- LAFHAS frequently asked questions (PDF, 252KB)
- LAFHAS applicant guidelines 2021 (PDF, 404KB)
- Living Away From Home Allowance Scheme procedure
- Education (General Provisions) Act 2006 (Qld) section 368
- Bypass school procedure
- Distance education and boarding schools—information about rural and remote schools and support for students.