Skip links and keyboard navigation

Getting a learner motorcycle licence (RE)

If you want to learn to ride a motorcycle, you must apply for a class RE learner licence.

To get a learner licence for a motorcycle, you have to hold your provisional, probationary or open car licence for at least 1 year before you can apply. This makes sure you have on-road driving experience before you ride solo.

To get your RE learner licence:

You can practice the motorcycle knowledge test online.

Once you pass and pay for your knowledge test, your driver licence will have the class RE added to it.

You can now start learning to ride a motorcycle.
Last updated
26 September 2014

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *