Renewing your licence—online
You should receive a licence renewal notice about 4 weeks before your licence expires. The renewal notice will explain whether you are able to renew your licence online. If you have lost your notice or need help finding out whether you can renew online, please call the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80.
Who can use this service?
You will not be able to renew your licence online if you:
- no longer live in Queensland
- have a licence that is currently suspended or cancelled or you are currently disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver licence in Australia or another country
- need glasses or contact lenses to drive and your licence does not already have an ‘S’ condition
- need a medical certificate to drive and do not have a current certificate lodged with us
- do not have a digital photo and digitised signature taken in the last 9 years (see security features of Queensland driver licences)
- need to change any details on your licence, such as your name or you need a condition to be removed or added to your licence
- hold a licence that has expired by more than 28 days—you must not drive with an expired driver licence
- hold a learner licence
- hold a laminated licence—you will have to renew your Queensland driver licence in person
Find out other ways to renew your licence if you are unable to use this online service.
How to renew your licence online
To renew your licence online, you will need:
- your licence number
- given name and family name as they appear on your licence or other Department of Transport and Main Roads correspondence
- date of birth
- the document number shown on your renewal notice
- card number as shown on the back of your licence
- credit card details for the licence renewal fee—the fee varies depending on how long you want to renew your licence. A credit card surcharge applies to all credit card payments.
A new licence will be sent to you when you have successfully completed your licence renewal online. You should receive your licence within 10 working days, contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80 if you have not received it.
Don’t have your licence and renewal notice with you?
You may be able to renew your licence online if you can provide details from a primary and secondary document included in the table below.
When using these documents to confirm your identity, you will need to enter information from a primary document and a secondary document from the same section. For example, if you use your licence renewal notice as your primary document, you will need to enter details from a secondary document in the same section, that is either your registration certificate, infringement notice or camera-detected infringement notice.
|Section||Primary documents||Secondary documents|
Department of Transport and Main Roads card number: