What is The Duke of Ed?
© Copyright 2008 The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, All Rights Reserved
The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award (or ‘The Duke of Ed’) is an exciting international youth development program.
Anyone between the ages of 14 and 25 can take part and the best bit is you choose your own activities and set your own goals.
The Bridge Award is also available. This award is open to young people aged between 11 and a half and 25 years. It builds confidence and resilience and is a great introduction to the Bronze level of The Duke of Ed (from 14 years).
Why do The Duke of Ed?
You'll get recognition for doing many of the things you already do. You can also choose new activities that you’ve always wanted to do.
Why do The Duke of Ed? Find out more about what you'll get out of it.
The Duke of Ed has 3 Award levels and you can choose the level that's right for you: Bronze, Silver or Gold. Each level has different time commitments.
To finish the Bronze and Silver levels you have to complete 4 Award sections and 5 for the Gold level.
You design your own program around the things that interest you most.
The Award sections are:
- Service—get involved in your community and give service to others.
- Skill—build your skills in something practical or creative, such as drawing, painting, fishing, or music.
- Physical Recreation—take part in something active such as football, basketball, dancing, surfing or swimming.
- Adventurous Journey—discover a sense of adventure and do something challenging with your friends.
- Residential Project (Gold only)—broaden your horizons and open your eyes to the world.
You'll have an Award Leader, instructors and assessors who can help you decide on activities for each Award section but remember, it's your choice.
For detailed information about the Award:
In Queensland The Duke of Ed costs:
- $155.50 for your first level of the Award
- $111.50 for each Award level you do after.
This fee covers your Online Record Book, certificate and badge.