Other common road rules

Some of Queensland's other general road rules relate to:


You must have your headlights, tail-lights and number plate lights on when you drive at night or in bad weather that causes reduced visibility (such as heavy rain).

If you are driving during the day in fog or in other bad weather with reduced visibility, you may drive with your front fog lights on, with or without your headlights.

High beam headlights

You must not have your headlights on high beam if another vehicle is closer than 200m to you—this includes when you are following someone and when they are driving towards you.

You may flash your headlights briefly before overtaking another vehicle, but make sure they do not dazzle other road users. You may be fined for incorrectly using your high beam lights.

Fog lights

You can only use front or rear fog lights if it is difficult to see other vehicles or objects due to poor weather conditions—such as heavy rain or fog.

You must not use fog lights in clear weather conditions, whether it is day or night.

Level crossings

A level crossing is any location where a road and a railway meet at substantially the same level, regardless of whether it signed. It is also where a road and tram tracks meet at substantially the same level, however these crossings must be signed at the entrances.

A level crossing includes any adjacent area with painted cross hatched road markings.

Stopping and giving way at a level crossing

You must stop at a STOP sign or STOP line and give way to any trains on, approaching or entering the crossing.

You must give way at a GIVE WAY sign or GIVE WAY line to any train on, approaching or entering the crossing.

Entering or leaving a level crossing

You must not enter a level crossing if:

  • warning lights are operating, or warning bells are ringing
  • a gate, boom or barrier at the crossing is closed, or is opening or closing
  • a train or tram is on, or entering the crossing
  • an approaching train or tram can be seen, or is sounding a warning, and there would be a danger of a collision if the driver entered the crossing
  • the driver cannot drive through the crossing because it, or the road beyond, is blocked.

Once you enter the level crossing, you must move off the crossing as soon as you can do so safely.

At a level crossing where boom gates or flashing lights are not installed, extra care should be taken.

  • Slow down, or stop if facing a STOP sign, and look both ways and listen for trains.
  • Take extra care if the sun, fog, vegetation or buildings obscure your view of the train tracks.
  • If you have stopped for a train, before proceeding, check that another train is not following or coming the other way.

Riding in the back of a utility

It is an offence for a person to ride in the back of a utility (ute).

You must make sure your passengers do not travel in any part of the vehicle that is not designed for passengers. The passenger carrying area must be an enclosed part of the structure of the vehicle.

Passengers must be seated and restrained according to the seatbelt and child restraint rules.

Opening doors and getting out of a vehicle

You must not get off, or out of, a moving motor vehicle. This includes causing a hazard to any person or vehicle by opening a door or getting off or out of a vehicle stopped in traffic or at traffic lights.

You also must not travel in or on a motor vehicle with any part of your body outside a window or door of the vehicle. The only time part of your body may protrude outside the vehicle is when you are driving and using a hand signal to show you are about to stop, slow down or about to turn, move right or make a U-turn.

Securing your vehicle

You must secure/lock your vehicle before leaving it parked on a road. Your vehicle is considered unattended when you are more than 3m away from it.

Before you leave the vehicle you must:

  • switch off the engine
  • apply the parking brake
  • remove the ignition key if there is no one 16 years of age or older in the vehicle
  • wind up the windows if possible—a gap of 5cm or less is acceptable
  • lock the doors if possible.

This rule applies to all road-related areas, including car parks.

Using your horn

You may only use your vehicle horn to warn other road users of your approach or the position of your vehicle.


If you are involved in a crash with another driver of a vehicle (including a car, bicycle or personal mobility device) or a pedestrian, you must stop and if you are able, give your contact details to:

  • any other person involved in the crash
  • any other person injured in the crash or their representative
  • the owner of any property or vehicle that has been damaged from the crash.

You must report a crash to the police if:

  • a vehicle involved needs to be towed away
  • any driver involved fails to provide their details to any other drivers involved in the crash
  • any person involved is killed or injured.

You must remain at the scene of the crash and give assistance to anyone who is injured – this can include calling an ambulance.

These rules apply to all drivers and riders, including drivers of motor vehicles and bicycle and personal mobility device riders, for example e-scooters.

Driving in reverse

You must not reverse your vehicle unless it's safe to do so, and you must not reverse further than is reasonable in the circumstances.

If you are reversing into a parking space, you must use your vehicle’s indicators to advise other drivers of your intent. You may also need to stop and wait until other vehicles have passed before proceeding.

Driving with animals

Travelling inside a vehicle

It is an offence to drive with an animal in your lap or to drive when you don't have proper control of your vehicle. We recommend  animals travelling inside your vehicle be restrained in some way for the safety and welfare of the animal and the occupants of the vehicle. The road rules do not specifically require an animal to be restrained while travelling inside a vehicle.

Travelling outside a vehicle

If an animal is carried in the tray of a ute or in a trailer it's classed as a load and must be safely restrained. Read more about transporting dogs in utes.

While riding a motorbike, you must not ride with an animal between you and the handlebars, or in another position that interferes with your ability to control the motorbike.

Read about the rules for horse riders, animal-drawn vehicles and leading your animal when walking.