Where children should sit
Cars with more than 1 row of seats
- Babies and children up to 4 years old must not sit in the front seat
- Children aged 4 and up to 7 years can only sit in the front seat if all other seats are occupied by children under 7 years of age
- Children 7 years and over can sit in the front seat.
Cars with only 1 row of seats
- Children of any age can sit in the front seat as long as they are properly restrained.
- If a car has a passenger airbag, a rear-facing child restraint shouldn't be used in the front seat if the restraint is positioned close to the airbag.
In this guide:
- Types of child restraints
- When to move to the next type of restraint
- Installing a child restraint
- Where children should sit
- Exemptions from complying with standard child restraint laws