Young Athletes Travel Subsidy
The Young Athletes Travel Subsidy (travel subsidy) replaced the Young Athlete Assistance Program (YAAP) on 1 July 2015. This travel subsidy provides additional financial assistance through 3 event tiers and supports attendance at specific state, national and international events.
Subsidies are provided retrospectively under a tiered funding model, with applicants eligible once every 2 calendar years at each tier. Athletes and officials can only apply after they have competed or officiated at an event and within 6 months of participating.
The travel subsidy aims to foster the development of young athletes and support elite athlete pathways by providing financial assistance to help alleviate the costs associated with attending championship events.
Officials (such as coaches, referees and scorers) attending eligible events can also apply for assistance if they meet the eligibility criteria.
Who is eligible?
Applicants eligible to apply for support after attending the event are those who:
- have competed or officiated (as a coach, referee or scorer) at an eligible Queensland state or state school event, Australian national or national school event or international event in the past 6 months
- have been residents of Queensland for at least 12 months preceding the event
- are under the age of 18 at the start of the event
- travelled a road distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check road distances using RACQ's trip planner)
- flew or travelled by rail a radial distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check radial distances)
- have their participation at the event confirmed by the regional/state/national coach or manager.
Check the list of eligible championships (PDF, 584KB) that athletes/officials can apply for after attending the event. If the championship is not on the list, it may be listed on the future eligible events list (PDF, 271KB). If the event is not on either of these lists, please contact the relevant state sport and recreation organisation.
What funding is available?
The travel subsidy will allow up to a maximum of $1200 in financial assistance over the 3 event tiers, once every 2 calendar years. Eligible athletes and officials can apply for 1 event per tier once every second calendar year.
- State or state school event - $200
- National or national school event - $400
- International event - $600.
Applicants who received funding for attendance at state, national or international events under YAAP for events held from 1 January to 15 December 2014 will not be able to apply for attendance at a state event in 2015 (i.e. if your last approved event was held in 2013, you can apply for state event funding in 2015. If your last approved event was held in 2014, you can apply for state event funding in 2016).
You will still be eligible to apply for funding for attendance at one national and/or one international event from 1 July 2015.
Lodging an application does not guarantee funding. The following requirements must be met:
- applications will not be considered before the start of a championship – applicants are required to use their own resources to travel to the event as funding is provided retrospectively
- applications must be received by us no later than 6 months after the eligible event.
How long will it take to assess my application?
Applications can take up to ten weeks to process from time of submission. Applicants will be notified of the assessment outcome via email. Please allow up to 10 business days from receipt of successful advice for a payment to clear with your banking institution.
How do I apply?
Applications can be submitted online. Before you begin, please take a moment to ensure your computer system meets the following software requirements necessary to view and successfully lodge an application:
- The application form is not compatible with mobile or tablet devices.
- Applications must be made from a PC.
- The online application form (enQuire) will work best using the latest version of your browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari).
- You will need the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to open documents within the online application form.
When using enQuire:
- the enQuire account must be created by the parent/guardian and in this name, not the athlete/official's name
- certifying coaches and managers cannot apply on behalf of athletes/officials
- you can use the same account for all applications
- use title case for all sections when completing the form (i.e. 'Joe Bloggs' not 'JOE BLOGGS' or 'joe bloggs')
- select the eligible event from the dropdown events list in the form; if your championship is not on the list, please contact the relevant state sport and recreation organisation.
To apply, choose the type of event you are applying for:
Please familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions of the travel subsidy.
Further technical assistance as well as step-by-step instructions on using the online application form can be found in the How to Guide and Troubleshooting Manual (PDF, 2.41MB).
Once your application has been received, all approved applicants will be notified by email of payments made to the nominated bank account.
Find out more
For further information about your application or the travel subsidy, contact your nearest Sport and Recreation Office on 1300 656 191.