Permit to drive on national parks and beaches

4 wheel-drive vehicle on the beach.
Driving is allowed on some beaches but you will need a permit.

Driving is allowed on some beaches but you will need a permit.

You will need a vehicle access permit (VAP) to drive on recreation areas in Queensland, such as national parks and beaches.

How to purchase a vehicle access permit

  • Book online using the Queensland National Parks Booking Service
  • Book over-the-counter
  • If you cannot book through one of these channels, phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68). Mobile phone charges may apply.

All vehicles must be registered and your permit clearly displayed on your vehicle for inspection by authorised officers.

Find out about exemptions from paying a vehicle access permit fee.

Areas requiring a permit

You must purchase a vehicle access permit before driving on the following recreation areas:

Bribie Island

Vehicle access permit fee

  • 1 week or less—$55.50
  • More than 1 week (up to 1 year)—$173.30

Read more about Bribie Island recreation area.


Vehicle access permit fee

  • 1 calendar day—$14.40 (online price) or $21.80 (Counter or Phone purchase)
  • 1 week or less—$37.75
  • 1 month or less—$57.80
  • More than 1 month (up to 1 year)—$291.00

Read more about Cooloola recreation area.

K’gari (Fraser Island)

Vehicle access permit fee

  • 1 month or less—$57.80
  • More than 1 month (up to 1 year)—$ 291.00

Read more about K’gari (Fraser Island) recreation area.

K’gari (Fraser Island) and Cooloola Recreation Area

You may buy a combined permit for K’gari (Fraser Island) and Cooloola with a 20% discount.

Vehicle access permit fee

  • 1 month or less—$92.85
  • More than 1 month (up to 1 year)—$ 466.00

Apply for a permit exemption


You may be eligible for a fee exemption for the recreation area if you are:

  • a resident
  • a landholder
  • a close relative visiting a resident
  • an educational group
  • a worker who needs to travel through the recreation area.

Vehicle access permits are not required for:

  • emergency vehicles
  • Australian, state and local government vehicles (when used for official purposes)
  • vehicles authorised under a commercial activity permit or agreement
  • Inskip Peninsula or Green Island recreation areas.

Read more about fee exemptions for vehicle access permits on QPWS managed recreation areas (PDF, 93KB) (operational policy).

Rainbow Beach residents using Cooloola Recreation Area

If you live at Rainbow Beach you may apply for a permit fee exemption for Cooloola Recreation Area (CRA). This will allow you to save a reasonable amount of time travelling through the recreation area to Tewantin's major shopping and business centre, instead of using an alternative route.

Only Rainbow Beach residents are eligible to apply and you will need to show evidence of your principal place of residence and vehicle registration.

Fee exemptions are not automatically renewed so you must apply for an exemption each year if you hold an annual permit.

Read more frequently asked questions about vehicle permit fee exemptions for Rainbow Beach residents.

How to apply for an exemption

You can apply for a vehicle permit exemption in the following ways:

  • online
    • select ‘Vehicle Permit’ and login or create a new account
    • select the relevant park, tick the ‘fee exemption’ checkbox and follow the instructions to submit the request.
  • by emailing your request to
  • at a Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) over-the-counter booking office (only QPWS offices can issue an exemption)