Your rights and responsibilities

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) looks after the laws which protect the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords/agents.

Successful Tenancies

Some general tips for a successful tenancy include:

  • paying your rent on time
  • taking good care of the property
  • not disturbing the peace, comfort or privacy of your neighbours
  • speaking with your landlord/agent if you have any concerns with your tenancy, including changing who will be living with you
  • keeping all documents about the tenancy (e.g. entry condition report, tenancy agreement, letters and receipts) together in a safe place.

You can also read:

These booklets are given to you when you sign the tenancy agreement. The booklets are also available from the RTA and help you to better understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Tenancy agreements (leases)

Read about the different types of tenancy agreements and how they affect you.

Moving out

If you are moving out, you should:

Getting your rental bond back

To get your bond back, you must apply to the RTA after your tenancy has ended.

Property maintenance and cleaning

As a tenant, you are responsible for keeping the property/room clean and in good condition. Find out information about:

Resolving disputes

For information on resolving disputes, refer to legal and dispute support.

Protections for people renting experiencing domestic and family violence

If you’re experiencing domestic and family violence:

  • you can leave your rental immediately, but must give 7 days’ notice and pay rent until the end of the 7 day notice period
  • you will be able to access any bond contribution you made
  • you won’t be liable for property damage caused due to domestic and family violence
  • you can change the locks to the property without the owner’s consent to ensure your safety. You should then give the property owner/manager copies of the new keys
  • you are not required to give the property owner/manager your forwarding address
  • you must provide relevant evidence using the RTA’s Domestic and family violence report.

Visit Domestic and family violence – information for tenants or contact the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311 (8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) for more information.

More information

For more information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, contact:

Useful resources

Help with costs

If you require financial assistance for essential goods and services to keep you safe, help is available through the Flexible Assistance Package for costs such as removalist, property damage repair, transport and white goods.

For more information about the Flexible Assistance Package and to get help with your specific circumstances or needs, contact your nearest Housing Service Centre.