Legal and dispute support
Rental disputes may occur when:
- there is poor communication
- the terms of the tenancy agreement are not met
- people do not understand their rights and responsibilities.
The best way to avoid disputes is for the people involved to talk to each other as soon as an issue arises. You also need to be aware of your rights and responsibilities when renting.
To resolve problems during a tenancy, you can:
- phone the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311 and use the Dispute Resolution Service
- phone the Queensland Statewide Tenant Advice and Referral Service on 1300 744 263
- apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).
Advice and support
Free advice about your rights and obligations under a tenancy agreement is available from the:
- Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311
- Queensland Statewide Tenant Advice and Referral Service on 1300 744 263.
To help cover your expenses, check if you’re eligible for: