Home Assist Secure
Home Assist Secure is a service for Queenslanders aged 60 years and over, or people of any age with a disability, who can’t perform or pay for critical home maintenance without assistance.
This service provides safety-related information, referrals and subsidised assistance.
Your local Home Assist Secure service can provide information about:
- home maintenance
- minor modifications
- other assistance that the Queensland Government provides.
Staff can also help you:
- employ tradespeople to do repairs or modifications
- plan future work.
Find your local Home Assist Secure provider.
If you’re eligible, you may receive a financial contribution towards labour costs for minor home maintenance or modifications that both:
- relate to your health, safety or security
- need to be done so you can remain in your home.
This assistance may include:
- yard and outside maintenance
- small repairs and maintenance
- smoke alarm-related jobs, e.g. installation, battery changes, vents cleaning
- jobs, repairs and maintenance requiring a licensed tradesperson (e.g. an electrician).
To be eligible, you must meet all these criteria:
- at least 60 years old or of any age with a disability
- a Pensioner Concession Card holder
- unable to complete the work yourself because it requires technical expertise or is a risk to your health and safety
- unable to use alternative assistance, such as through:
Help after a disaster
If you’re eligible for Home Assist Secure, we can also help if you’re affected by a disaster event (e.g. flooding, severe storm, cyclone).
Community-based organisations and some local councils throughout Queensland offer practical help so you can remain living in your own home
Home Assist Secure may be able to refer you to a reliable tradesperson or provide you with information on securing your home after a disaster event.
What we don’t do
Home Assist Secure doesn’t provide assistance for repairs or maintenance that’s the landlord’s (lessor’s) responsibility under Residential Tenancies legislation or tenancy agreements.
Read the guidelines for Home Assist Secure providers (PDF, 239KB) for details on how the program works.
Contacts and feedback
If you have questions, feedback or concerns about a service, contact your local Home Assist Secure provider.
If you’re not satisfied with the response, you may contact the Department of Housing and Public Works:
- phone: 13QGOV (13 74 68)
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Housing and Public Works
GPO Box 690
Brisbane Qld 4001.