Rural and remote support

Living and working in rural and remote communities can at times be a stressful experience. People who live and work in these areas can experience other pressures such as social isolation, financial hardship, lack of employment opportunities, and natural disasters such as fire, flood or drought. You or someone you know may feel:

  • that you have to manage stressful situations alone
  • unable to cope and feel embarrassed about it
  • unable to manage on your own
  • unable to confide in family or friends.

Often, these pressures can have a major affect on your mental health and wellbeing and you may experience symptoms of anxiety, depression or other health related issues.

Find out about some of the common mental illnesses and conditions.

Understanding what you may be going through and recognising the signs and symptoms is a first step in managing your health issues.  Illnesses related to mental health and wellbeing are genuine health concerns; anxiety and depression are common health conditions—with the right treatment, most people recover.

If you or someone you know is experiencing mental health and wellbeing issues, there are professional mental health services, financial counselling and other assistance schemes available to help people in rural and remote communities deal with the affect of stressful situations and pressures.

Find help

Search for a mental health service available near you.

Ways to find help include:

Start by talking to someone:

  • talk to your GP – they can offer help and referrals to available services
  • reach out to your friends and family
  • call Lifeline on 13 11 14 - they can provide assistance and counselling
  • recognise when things are becoming difficult to manage - listen to those around you when they are expressing their concerns
  • learn techniques to manage stress.

Helplines and online counselling

A challenge of living in rural or remote communities is access to mental health professionals such as counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists. Online and/or telephone support services are available which can be inexpensive and non-confrontational tools when seeking assistance.

See the list of helplines and other support options.

Financial assistance

Call the Drought and Farmer Assistance Hotline on 13 23 16, Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm. The hotline provides specific advice and support for those living in drought-affected rural and remote communities.

The Australian Government supports people living in rural and remote communities across Australian through:

Natural disaster and emergency assistance

If you or someone you know has been affected by a natural disaster, there is a range of information services and support available through the Queensland Government.