Banking and financial advice

Advice about banking

The Australian Government's MoneySmart website has information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people about  choosing the right bank account, including, account types and common fees and charges.

Complain about your bank

Find out how to make a complaint about your bank or financial services provider.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander financial advisors

If you are struggling to pay your bills or are in debt, you should firstly talk to your bank or credit provider. You may also like to talk with:

Financial advisors can also explain the process if you received a letter of demand, a summons or a warrant of execution.

If you live in a remote community, Centrelink's Indigenous service officers from the Remote Servicing Team can visit you to talk face-to-face about money matters.

You can also contact the Financial Counselling Hotline on 1800 007 007.

Bankruptcy and going to court

People who are declared bankrupt (or broke) are legally unable to pay their outstanding debts. This is generally decided by a court.

To avoid going to court, you should talk to your bank or credit provider and apply for a hardship variation. Your lender may then be able to cancel your repayments for an agreed period of time.

Legal help

Find what free legal help is available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.


Superannuation (or super) is the saving of money for when you finish working and decide to retire.

Find out more about super and retiring.

Get your super

You may be able to get access to your super now to improve your financial position.

Get a business loan

Check how you can get a business loan to start your own business, or improve an existing one.

Budgeting and shopping

Read information about shopping and how to have a budget to help you make better decisions about managing your money.