Travelling in alcohol restricted areas

There are alcohol restrictions in 15 local government areas across Queensland. These restrictions ban or limit the amount and type of alcohol you can take into a community. In some communities, alcohol is completely banned.

However, the following roads and public areas in Doomadgee, Lockhart River and Wujal Wujal have been declared as ‘specific roads and public facilities’:


  • the Savannah Way
  • the public facilities within Doomadgee including the Doomadgee Roadhouse.

Lockhart River:

  • Frenchmen's Road
  • Portland Roads Road.

Wujal Wujal:

  • the Bloomfield Track (including Douglas Street and the Rossville-Bloomfield Road as they pass through the community) and the Bloomfield Crossing
  • the public facilities within Wujal Wujal include the car park near the Bloomfield Falls and the car park for the Wujal Wujal Arts and Cultural Centre.

You may be able to carry more alcohol than the limit if you meet the requirements of a ‘bona fide traveller’.

What is a ‘bona fide traveller’?

A ‘bona fide traveller’ is someone who can prove their destination is not in the restricted area. This is called ‘reverse onus of proof’. Items you can use to prove you are a ‘bona fide traveller’ include:

  • your trip itinerary
  • valid camping permits
  • a driver licence showing your home address is not in the restricted area
  • accommodation bookings in destinations outside the restricted area.

How much alcohol can I carry if I can prove I’m a ‘bona fide traveller’?

You can carry more alcohol than is allowed under the alcohol restrictions in an area which has been declared a ‘specific roads and public facilities’ (see above) only if:

  • the alcohol is secured in your vehicle
  • the alcohol can’t be seen from outside your vehicle (is covered up)
  • the alcohol is not removed from your vehicle while travelling on a specified road or using a specified public facility. You must not consume the alcohol while within the restricted area.

If you have more than the prescribed limit in your possession, you cannot stop within the restricted area other than at the prescribed public facilities, unless it is an emergency situation (such as a break down).

All other roads and facilities in Doomadgee, Lockhart River and Wujal Wujal are subject to the restrictions. There are no exemptions for anyone.

The bona fide traveller exemption does not apply in any other community. You must not take more than the maximum alcohol allowed when travelling through any alcohol restricted community on roads not listed above.

Police powers

Under the Liquor Act 1992 and alcohol management plans police can:

  • stop and search any vehicle in or coming into a restricted area
  • take all alcohol where alcohol restrictions are being breached
  • take a vehicle (including a car, boat or plane) used to bring alcohol into a restricted area or dry place
  • take a vehicle if they believe it is necessary to stop the vehicle being used again to break alcohol laws
  • search a person without a warrant if they suspect they are carrying alcohol
  • enter and search a house without a warrant if they suspect there is alcohol in the house
  • stop and search a vehicle, animal or a vehicle pulled by an animal that is under the control of a person attempting to enter a restricted area with alcohol.

This is a guide only and should not be used as legal document. You should check full details of the relevant legislation when necessary.

For more information about police powers, contact 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

Helpful information