Carbon rights on state land

You can help to mitigate the effects of climate change, and earn carbon tax credits, by taking part in projects to store carbon and reduce greenhouse gas emissions on your land. This is part of the Australian Government’s Emission Reduction Fund (ERF).

There are different ways to apply for projects depending on whether you have a perpetual or term lease, or a freeholding lease under the Land Act 1994.

Note, the minister administering the Land Act 1994 is the crown lands minister; and crown land means land that is the property of the state (including land subject to a perpetual or term lease, or freeholding lease).

This guide explains eligible activities under the ERF and how to complete and lodge applications. Before you make an application, we recommend that you call us to discuss:

  • the type of project, tenures included and timeframes
  • tenure and lease conditions
  • options for extending the term of the lease
  • native title considerations
  • the state’s interest in forest products, quarry material and mineral resources
  • other considerations and/or approvals which may be required under other legislation e.g. protected wildlife.

This will avoid processing delays.

Carbon rights on state land

In this guide:

  1. Eligible activities
  2. Apply for eligible interest holder consent
  3. Apply for consent to registration of a carbon abatement interest

Print entire guide