Maps and satellite imagery
Improved coastal mapping
The Improved Coastal Mapping Project was established to identify vulnerable areas of the Queensland coast and visualise the impacts of climate change.
One element of the project used Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) to create a detailed Digital Elevation Model of the Queensland coastline. The LiDAR was supplemented with bathymetry (the study and mapping of seafloor topography), aerial imagery and tidal data to quantify and show the impacts of storm tides and elevated water levels.
Pasture growth and land cover
AussieGRASS is a system that monitors key biophysical processes associated with pasture degradation and recovery.
It provides maps of historical rainfall, current and forecast pasture growth and associated attributes such as runoff, biomass, curing index, grass fire risk, and cover, at continental to regional scale.
AussieGRASS products are useful for assessing drought conditions, and can help provide early warning of when and where livestock numbers may be out of balance with likely forage supply.
- The ‘public access’ area includes free mapped information, along with some data files.
- Additional products (including GIS data) are available via subscription through the AussieGRASS ‘premium’ password-protected area.
- Email Rouseabout@des.qld.gov.au for more information.
FORAGE is a web-based system that generates and distributes information relating to climate and pasture condition for rural lots on plan greater than 100 hectares in area.
FORAGE incorporates a number of products such as SILO climate data, satellite imagery and modelled pasture growth, delivering them in a form that people can easily use to facilitate decision-making in grazing land and environmental management.
You can request the following FORAGE reports for locations across Queensland:
- rainfall and pasture report
- Rainfall and pasture by land type
- ground cover reports
- regional comparison ground cover
- indicative land type report
- foliage projective cover report
- rainfall and pasture growth outlook
- regional climate projections.
- drought assessment report.
FORAGE report, currently only available for locations in the Burdekin region, include:
- erodible soils.
For the selected areas in southern Queensland include:
- crop frequency.