Help with homework
Teachers ensure that homework is set as part of a balanced lifestyle. This gives students the opportunity to further their classroom learning while leaving enough time for family, recreation and other activities.
Homework helps students:
- consolidate classroom learning
- prepare for and expand on classroom learning
- involve family members in their learning
- become independent learners.
When and where should my child do homework?
It is helpful for students to establish routines for homework like:
- setting a time to complete homework
- finding a space that is free of distractions.
How can I help?
You can help your child by:
- encouraging them to take responsibility for their learning and time management
- supporting them to complete tasks by discussing key questions and directing them to helpful and appropriate resources
- participating with them in online learning forums
- reading and playing games with them
- involving them in tasks; including shopping and cooking
- encouraging them to read and to take an interest in and discuss local, national and international events
- discussing homework concerns with your child's teacher.
Will extra tuition help?
Before employing a tutor, you should think about options available through the school.
Find more about extra tuition.
The Learning Place—(need student login)—a space for students to share, create and learn.
Literacy and numeracy resources—fact sheets and activities to help your child's development.