Costs and financial help
Study costs will vary depending on the type and length of your course and where you choose to study. Generally, course fees are unavoidable but you may be eligible for financial help.
If you study at university or an approved higher education provider you will be offered either a:
- Commonwealth supported place where the Australian Government pays for part of your costs and you pay a student contribution
- full-fee-paying place.
Whichever place you get, you may be eligible for financial help with study costs.
Government support includes:
- student loans (known as HECS-HELP) for students in a Commonwealth supported place
- help with tuition fees (known as FEE-HELP).
Vocational education and training (VET)
Help with tuition fees could be available if you are studying:
- at diploma level or above
- through an approved training provider.
VET Student Loans is available to assist eligible students studying higher level vocational education and training qualifications to pay their tuition fees.
Government subsidised training
The Queensland Government offers a variety of subsidised training programs to assist eligible Queenslanders to increase their skills to move into employment, re-enter the workforce, advance their career or transition to further study.
You can search for government subsidised training on the Queensland Skills Gateway. You can also complete a simple questionnaire to help you find out if you are eligible to access any of the subsidised training options.
Note that subsidised programs are in selected qualifications in high priority areas.
Apprentices and trainees
See what costs you could have to meet if you are an apprentice or trainee. You may be eligible for financial help.
Government support for all tertiary students
StudyAssist is a guide to government help through income support programs like:
- Youth Allowance
- ABSTUDY (for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students).
Payments for these programs are made through Centrelink.
Government help is also available through:
Scholarships and grants
There are a number of scholarship, award and grant programs for students of all levels.
- scholarships and grants for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- awards and scholarships for school students and graduates.
Some universities and other organisations offer their own scholarships. Check with your preferred institute.