Sexual abuse and assault: getting help

If you have been impacted by sexual assault, rape or sexual violence, it is important to know there are a range of help and support options available. Nobody asks or deserves to be a victim of sexual violence. It is not your fault and you are not to blame.

On this page:

If you have recently been assaulted

If you are in immediate danger, phone Triple Zero (000) or go to the emergency department at your local hospital.

If you have recently experienced sexual assault, rape or sexual violence, get yourself to a safe place as soon as possible and:

These services can help you by providing information and referrals to free counselling and support and medical care, including:

  • emergency contraception
  • medical examinations
  • testing for sexually transmissible infections (STIs).

If you are thinking of reporting the violence to the police it is important that you do not change your clothes, comb your hair or wash yourself. This may remove evidence. If you decide to have a medical examination, the medical officer will:

  • talk with you about the examination process
  • gather evidence in case you decide to report to the police
  • discuss the possibility of pregnancy and STIs.

If you think you may be at risk of pregnancy, talk to a doctor about emergency contraception.

If you want to report sexual violence that happened to you in the past, including as a child, call Policelink on 131 444.

Alternative reporting options are available for people who don't want to make an official complaint to the police about recent or historical sexual violence, but would still like to report it. This can be reported to the police online and you can remain anonymous.

Sexual abuse or violence is also a form of domestic and family violence if the abuser is a partner–or former partner–or family member.

Where to get support

Community-based sexual violence support services can provide you with both immediate and ongoing support to improve your personal safety and ensure you have access to the healing, justice and support that you need to recover. Sexual violence support services will listen to you and believe you.

Service provider Phone numberLocation
13 HEALTH13 43 25 84Statewide
Statewide Sexual Assault Helpline1800 010 120Statewide
1800RESPECT1800 737 732Statewide
DVConnect1800 811 811Statewide
Brisbane Rape and Incest Survivor Support Centre (BRISSC) (07) 3391 0004 Brisbane
Cairns Sexual Assault Service (07) 4031 3590 Cairns
Centacare Family Relationship Services (07) 4162 5439 Kingaroy
Centre Against Sexual Violence (07) 3808 3299 Beaudesert
Gladstone Women's Health Centre (07) 4979 1456 Gladstone
Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence (07) 5591 1164 Southport
Immigrant Women’s Support Service (IWSS) (07) 3846 3490 Brisbane
Laurel Place (07) 5482 7911
(07) 5443 4711
(07) 5499 2096
Moreton Bay
Lifeline Darling Downs and Southwest 1300 991 431 Roma
Living Well (for male victims) 1300 114 397 Strathpine
Mackay Women's Sexual Assault Service (07) 4953 1788 Mackay

MARS Australia (for men affected by rape and sexual abuse)

(07) 3857 1222 Brisbane
Mount Isa/Gulf Domestic and Family Violence Service (07) 4749 1901 Mount Isa
Murrigunyah Family and Cultural Healing Centre (07) 3290 4254 Logan
Phoenix House (07) 4153 4299 Bundaberg
Queensland Health Sexual Assault Service (07) 3646 5207
(07) 3810 1111
(07) 4652 7983
(07) 4968 3919 or after hours (07) 4968 6000 
(07) 4744 4447
(07) 4616 6950 or after hours (07) 4616 6000

Mount Isa
Service Against Sexual Violence (07) 3816 3282
(07) 4566 2633 
Sisters Inside Sexual Assault Service
(for women who are or have been in prison)
(07) 3844 5066 Brisbane
Tablelands Sexual Assault Service (07) 4091 4036 Atherton
True Child and Family Service (07) 4031 3590 Cairns
Whitsunday Counselling and Support (07) 4946 2999 Whitsundays
Wide Bay Sexual Assault Services (07) 4194 5230 Wide Bay
Women's Centre Townsville (07) 4775 7555 Townsville
Women's Health Centre Rockhampton (07) 4922 6585 Rockhampton
WWILD Sexual Violence Prevention Service
(for women with intellectual disability)
(07) 3262 9877 Brisbane
Zig Zag Young Women’s Resource Centre
(for young women aged 12 to 25 years) 
(07) 3843 1823 Brisbane
Brisbane North (Nundah)
Brisbane Southwest (Richlands/Inala)

Recovery from sexual violence

Sexual violence can have immediate and long-term effects on your health and wellbeing. This can include physical health issues as a result of the assault, or longer term health issues due to the impact of trauma.

Find out more about how to recover from sexual violence.

Child sexual abuse

Find out about the signs of child sexual abuse and how to report it.

If a child is in immediate danger, phone Triple Zero (000).

If you are a young person and want to speak to someone about child sexual abuse, contact Kids Helpline on: