If your home or belongings have been damaged during a disaster you should contact your insurance broker or company to assess your claim as soon as you can.

It is recommended that you:

  • contact your insurer before authorising major repairs
  • take photographs of damaged goods, particularly those that you need to dispose of for health reasons, for insurance assessment purposes
  • dispose of any water and mud damaged possessions that pose an immediate health hazard
  • keep a detailed list of any items and photographs that have been disposed or removed that you want to make an insurance claim for.

If you have questions about your insurance policy or claim, speak to your insurer first.

You can also phone the Insurance Council of Australia's hotline on 1300 728 228 (from 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) for more information, as well as read their tips to assist during flood recovery.

Make a complaint

If you’re unhappy with the processing or outcome of your insurance claim you should make a formal complaint to your insurer.

If you’re unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you can lodge a dispute with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). The AFCA will offer free dispute resolution services. If both parties can’t come to an agreement through this process they may then investigate the complaint and make a decision.

Financial help

If you are not insured, underinsured, or have no specific insurance coverage for this type of event, you may be eligible for a grant to help you repair damage caused by the disaster: