Skip links and keyboard navigation

Electricity and gas rebates

Queensland pensioners and seniors may be eligible for:

  • the Electricity Rebate—$340.85 per year (GST inclusive)
  • the Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate—$72.51 per year (GST inclusive).

Please note, all rebates are GST inclusive. Rebates for eligible card holders may appear as GST exclusive on bills.


Rebates are available to people who have any of the below:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension)
  • Queensland Seniors Card
  • Commonwealth Health Care Card (Electricity Rebate only)
  • Asylum seeker status—residents will need to provide their ImmiCard details (Electricity Rebate only).

To be eligible, you must be the electricity account holder and also live alone or share your principal place of residence with (only) any of the below:

  • their spouse
  • other people who hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Queensland Seniors Card
  • other people wholly dependent on them
  • other people who receive an income support payment from Centrelink, the Family Assistance Office, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and who do not pay rent
  • other people who live with the cardholder to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.

If you live in caravan park or multi-unit residential building (e.g. apartment), you must also show that your electricity or reticulated natural gas is paid on the basis of metered consumption.

How to apply for the rebate


Contact your gas retailer. You will need to provide certain details, so have copies of your bills and concession card handy so you can verify your eligibility. Rebates are automatically deducted from your bill.


If you have an account with an electricity retailer:

Contact your electricity retailer. You can apply over the phone or ask your retailer to send you an application form. You will need to provide certain details and have copies of your bills and concession card handy so you can verify your eligibility. Rebates are automatically deducted from your bill.

If you live in an apartment complex, residential park, retirement village or a granny flat

Contact the person/organisation sending your electricity bill. Find out more about rebates for rebates for residents of home park or multi-unit residential premises.

If you receive your electricity through an Ergon card-operated meter

Go to the Ergon Energy Queensland website for more information. You will receive power cards for the value of your rebate.

You will need to provide certain details, so have your concession card and 8 digit meter number handy so you can verify your eligibility. If you need some help, get someone you trust (e.g. relative or community worker) to sit with you while you are on the phone.

Find out more

  • Your Energy Savings website provides information about saving energy, saving money and available government assistance.
  • The energy ratings and water ratings of appliances can help you compare products based on their energy and water efficiency.
  • Phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

Seniors concessions

Are you over 60? Our trial service lets you apply for your Seniors Card, find out which concessions you are eligible for and apply for them at the same time. Give it a go and then let us know what you think.

Try the service

Other concession schemes

The Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme provides concessions for people with specific medical conditions requiring the use of an air-conditioner to regulate their body temperature.

The Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme helps low-income households pay energy bills at a time of crisis or in emergencies.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last updated:
17 August 2018
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.