Queensland public holiday dates for 2013-2016
|New Year's Day||Tuesday 1 January||Wednesday 1 January||Thursday 1 January||Friday 1 January|
|Australia Day||Monday 28 January 3||Monday 27 January||Monday 26 January||Tuesday 26 January|
|Good Friday||Friday 29 March||Friday 18 April||Friday 3 April||Friday 25 March|
|Easter Saturday||Saturday 30 March||Saturday 19 April||Saturday 4 April||Saturday 26 March|
|Easter Monday||Monday 1 April||Monday 21 April||Monday 6 April||Monday 28 March|
|Anzac Day||Thursday 25 April||Friday 25 April||Saturday 25 April||Monday 25 April|
|Queen's Birthday||Monday 10 June 4||Monday 9 June 4||Monday 8 June 4||Monday 13 June 4|
|Royal Queensland Show(Brisbane Area Only) 1||Wednesday 14 August||Wednesday 13 August||Wednesday 12 August||Wednesday 10 August|
|Labour Day||Monday 7 October 4||Monday 6 October 4||Monday 5 October 4||Monday 3 October 4|
|G20(Brisbane Area Only)||Friday 14 November 5|
|Christmas Day||Wednesday 25 December||Thursday 25 December||Friday 25 December||Sunday 25 December
Tuesday 27 December
|Boxing Day||Thursday 26 December||Friday 26 December||Saturday 26 December
Monday 28 December 6
|Monday, 26 December|
- The Royal National Agricultural (RNA) Show Day (Brisbane only) is held on the Wednesday during the RNA Show period. The RNA Show commences on the first Friday in August, unless the first Friday is prior to 5 August, then it commences on the second Friday of August.
- In 2012, the Queen’s Birthday holiday moved to the first weekend in October and a special Queen’s Diamond Jubilee holiday was celebrated on the second Monday in June.
- This public holiday is substituted in accordance with the provisions of the Holidays Act 1983.
- On Tuesday, 30 October 2012, amendments to the Holidays Act 1983 were passed by Parliament prescribing that from 2013, the Birthday of the Sovereign (Queen’s Birthday) public holiday is to be observed on the second Monday in June and the Labour Day public holiday is to be observed on the first Monday in October
- For 2014 only, an additional public holiday has been granted for the purpose of the Group of Twenty Leaders’ Summit (G20) for the Brisbane Area Only.
- From Christmas Day 2011, the Holidays Act provides for an extra public holiday to be added when Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year’s Day falls on a weekend.
Note: The Holidays Act 1983 permits the Minister to substitute another day for any public holiday. A list of public holidays for the next year is published in the Government Gazette in October/November each year.
Public holiday dates for 2012
A selection of gazettal publications for public, special and show holidays can be accessed on the Queensland Government’s publications portal.
Changes from 2013
Amendments to the Holidays Act 1983 were passed by Parliament on Tuesday 30 October 2012. Those amendments reversed one of the recent changes to public holiday arrangements by prescribing that from 2013:
- the Queen’s Birthday public holiday is to be observed on its original date on the second Monday in June each year
- the Labour Day public holiday is to be observed on the first Monday in October each year.
2014 Group of Twenty (G20) Leaders' Summit
A public holiday has been appointed for Friday 14 November 2014 in the Brisbane City Council local government area for the Group of Twenty (G20) Leaders’ Summit. The public holiday will apply to people who work in the Brisbane City Council local government area.
Shop trading hours on this day are not changed. The trading hours that are normally allowed on a Friday will apply.
Employee entitlements to wages and penalty rates on a public holiday are set by the applicable industrial award or enterprise bargaining agreement. Private sector employers and employees can contact the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94 for advice on their award or agreement.