We produce many free publications, including reports, papers, manuals, newsletters and information sheets.
Some of our publications are for sale—like the Queensland Herbarium journal Austrobaileya, and The flora of North Stradbroke Island.
We can also supply day presses and field guides written by other authors.
In this page we provide a list of some of these publications and tell you how to get them.
Publications for free
The Vegetation of Queensland
The Vegetation of Queensland: Descriptions of Broad Vegetation Groups describes the 98 broad vegetation groups (BVGs) defined for the 1:1 million mapping level and lists the most extensive regional ecosystems included in each group.
This document synthesises the information gained from more than 35 years of survey and mapping of vegetation and regional ecosystems by more than 80 staff at the Queensland Herbarium. The document is illustrated with 375 photographs, 108 tables and 103 maps, with detailed pre-clearing and remnant extent, and extent within the protected area estate.
Authors: John Neldner, Rosemary Niehus, Bruce Wilson, Bill McDonald and Andrew Ford.
The document is available for free download (use the link above) or on a CD available from the Queensland Herbarium.
Census of the Queensland Flora
The 2014 Census of the Queensland Flora provides a published list of all the known native and naturalised species of plants, algae, fungi and lichens in the state.
Manuals, reports, keys and guides
The following manuals, methodology, reports, papers, brochures and information sheets are available for free at our online library catalogue.
- Batianoff, G.N., Neldner, V.J., Naylor, G.C. and Olds, J.A. (2012). Mapping and evaluating Capricornia Cays vegetation and regional ecosystems.
- Dowling, RM. (2012). Report on the effects of the January 2011 flood on the Mangrove Communities along the Brisbane River.
- Fairfax, R.J., Thompson, E.J. and Neldner, V. J. (2012). Rapid Investigation into the Effects of the 2011 Floods on Floodplain Vegetation. Case studies from the Burnett and Condamine Rivers.
- Neldner, V.J., Wilson, B.A., Thompson, E.J. and Dillewaard, H.A. (2012). Methodology for Survey and Mapping of Regional Ecosystems and Vegetation Communities in Queensland. ISBN: 1-9209280-2-2
- Wilson, P.R. and Taylor, P.M. (2012). Land Zones of Queensland. ISBN: 978-1-920928-21-6
- Eyre TJ, Ferguson DJ, Hourigan CL, Smith GC, Mathieson MT, Kelly, AL, Venz MF & Hogan, LD. (2012). Terrestrial Vertebrate Fauna Survey Guidelines for Queensland. ISBN: 978-1-742309-12
- Eyre, T.J., Kelly, A.L, Neldner, V.J., Wilson, B.A., Ferguson, D.J., Laidlaw, M.J. and Franks, A.J. (2011). BioCondition: A Condition Assessment Framework for Terrestrial Biodiversity in Queensland. Assessment Manual. ISBN: 978-1-7423-0912
- Eyre, T.J., Kelly, A.L., and Neldner, V.J. (2011). Method for the Establishment and Survey of Reference Sites for BioCondition. ISBN: 978-1-7423-0916
- Leonard, P.L. (ed.) (2010). A Guide to Collecting and Preserving Fungal Specimens for the Queensland Herbarium. ISBN: 978-1-920928-17-9
- Borsboom A C, Couper P J, Amey A, Hobson R & Wilson S K (2010). Rediscovery of the endangered Retro Slider (Lerista allanae) in the Clermont region of central Queensland.
- Batianoff, G.N., Naylor, G.C., Dillewaard, H.A. (2009). Coringa-Herald National Nature Reserve: Assessment of vegetation conditions, ecology and resilience to environmental stressors, including climate change and pests. ISBN 978-1-920928-16-2
- Dowling, R. (2008). Investigation of Mangrove Dieback Fitzroy River, Rockhampton.
- Key to the eucalypts of greater Brisbane (2006)
- Key to the wattles of greater Brisbane (2006)
- Borsboom, A.C. (2005). Xanthorrhoea: A review of current knowledge with a focus on X. johnsonii and X. latifolia, two Queensland protected plants-in-trade.
- Kirkwood, A. & Dowling, R. (2002). Investigation of Mangrove Dieback, Pioneer River Estuary, Mackay.
- Fox, I.D., Neldner, V.J., Wilson, G.W., Bannink, P.J. (2002). Vegetation of the Australian Tropical Savannas. ISBN: 0 7345 2700 4. Please note: contact us for hard copy maps and CD or digital spatial data—postage and handling applies.
The following publications are available from Queensland Government websites:
- Queensland Herbarium, (2013). Collecting and preserving plant specimens, a manual.
- Weed Spotters’ Queensland Network monthly bulletins.
- Accad, A; Neldner, V.J; Wilson, B. A; and Niehus, R.E. (2013). Remnant Vegetation in Queensland. Analysis of remnant vegetation 1997–2011, including regional ecosystem information.
- Queensland Herbarium (2010). Scientific Monitoring Program for The South East Queensland Horse Riding Trail Network
- R.J. Fairfax, V.J. Neldner, M.R. Ngugi and R.M. Dowling (2012). Patterns of road surface movement after three endurance horse-riding events in protected areas, south-east Queensland
- Fairfax, R.J., Dowling, R. D. and Neldner, V.J. (2012). The use of infra-red sensors and digital cameras for documenting visitor use patterns: a case study from D’Aguilar National Park, south-east Queensland, Australia
- Smith, G.C. (2013). Vertebrate Survey Effort across Queensland.
Publications for sale
Contact us if you are interested in buying any of the publications below:
- Austrobaileya is the annual journal of the Queensland Herbarium. It publishes original research papers in systematic botany and related fields, with special emphasis on the flora of Queensland, tropical Australia and nearby countries. Categories include new species of plants, algae and fungi and keys to their identification, new classifications, descriptions, illustrations and notes clarifying nomenclature.
- Stephens, K.M. & Sharp, D. (2009). The Flora of North Stradbroke Island. Environmental Protection Agency, Brisbane. ISBN: 978-1-920928-15-5. $32.00 (GST incl.) Plus postage and handling.
- Harden, G., McDonald, W.F., Williams, J. (2007). Rainforest Climbing Plants: A field guide to their identification. Ligare Book Printer: Riverwood NSW.
- Harden, G., McDonald, W.F., Williams, J. (2007). Rainforest Trees & Shrubs – A field guide to their identification. Ligare Book Printer: Riverwood NSW.
- Playford, J. and Murray, R. (2000). Threatened Plants – Active Bushcare. The Centre for Conservation Biology, University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- Smith, N.M. (2002). Weeds of the Wet/Dry Tropics of Australia: A field Guide. Environment Centre Northern Territory Inc.: Darwin N.T.
- Watsford, P. (2008). Plants of the Forest Floor. Dynamic Digital Print: Tweed Heads. (Includes CD-ROM)
- Watsford, P. (2008). Grasses of subtropical eastern Australia: An introductory field guide to common grasses – native and introduced. Dynamic Digital Print: Tweed Heads. (Includes CD-ROM)
- Willmott, W. (2007). Rocks and Landscapes of the Sunshine Coast. 2nd edition. Kingswood Press: Underwood Qld.
- Willmott, W. (2006). Rocks and Landscapes of the National Parks of Central Queensland. Kingswood Press: Underwood Qld.
- Willmott, W. (2004). Rocks and Landscapes of the National Parks of Southern Queensland. Kingswood Press: Underwood Qld.
- Toxic Fungi of Queensland (2005) Full colour poster (2 sides). Please note: the poster is free but if you can’t collect in person, postage and handling applies.