A great way to contribute to your community is through volunteer work.
Volunteering is an unpaid activity that people choose to do for the good of the community. It provides a variety of rewards for the volunteer, including making new friends, sharing skills, getting job-ready and becoming a part of the local community.
Volunteering covers a range of sectors including arts, young people, conservation, health, community safety and corporate. You can volunteer during a disaster, with your family, while travelling, or online.
Volunteering Queensland is the peak body for volunteering in Queensland. Visit their website to find out more about volunteering opportunities or search their database by location or work/skill type. You can also contact your nearest Volunteer Resource Centre to find out about volunteering opportunities in your region:
- Far North Queensland Volunteers, phone 07 4041 7400
- Volunteering North Queensland, phone 07 4725 5990
- Wide Bay Volunteers, phone 07 4151 6644
- Volunteering Sunshine Coast, phone 07 5443 8256
- Volunteering Gold Coast, phone 07 5526 0688
- Volunteering Queensland Logan, phone 07 3133 4658.
Alternatively you can search for volunteering opportunities within the following sectors:
Arts and culture
- Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art (QAGOMA) provides career opportunities in the areas of Curatorial and Collection Development, Programming and Corporate Services, and Marketing and Sponsorship.
- State Library of Queensland volunteers participate in behind-the-scenes and front-of-house projects including historical document transcription and providing building tours for visitors.
- Become a Volunteer for Parks to let your love of nature contribute to conserving our environment.
- Clean Up Australia Day to do your bit for the environment by cleaning up your local area with friends and family.
- Roma Street Parkland Volunteers play an important role in maintaining the beautiful park gardens to world class standards.
- Tree Day
- Volunteer with the Queensland Government to help monitor and support our threatened species. Opportunities include monitoring flying-fox, caretaking and property management of threatened species project areas, talking to the public about koala management, and providing for sick, injured and orphaned koalas.
- Become a conservation volunteer to help with environmental and wildlife conservation projects.
- Find current corporate volunteering opportunities with non-profits across Queensland.
Volunteering with emergency services is a great make to give back to your community. Emergency service volunteering is open to a wide range of people.
Register with Volunteering Queensland’s Emergency Volunteering CREW so that in the event of a disaster, you can be linked with an organisation that requires volunteer support.
Learn the skills that might be important to help people. You could:
- Volunteer with the Queensland Ambulance Service
- Volunteer with the PA Hospital
- Volunteer with the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital
Helping your community
- Become a Justice of the Peace
- Homeless Connect is a one-day event linking homeless people with vital services that many of us take for granted.
- Indigenous Community Volunteers provides Indigenous communities with much needed access to skilled volunteers to help in areas where employment, economic development and education opportunities are often limited.
Keeping the community safe
- Help from Home
- United Nations Volunteers Online Volunteering
- State Library of Queensland Digital Volunteers
- The Tourism Volunteering Portal provides a central point for travellers, new and experienced volunteers to find out about upcoming volunteering opportunities in tourism destinations or local tourism industry.
- Grey Nomads provides people who are young at heart with the opportunity to travel to new places and experience volunteering at the same time.
- International Student Volunteer Initiative is a Volunteering Queensland initiative to increase opportunities for international students to volunteer in Queensland.
Volunteer managers can visit the Volunteering Queensland website to access resources on a variety of topics such as:
- volunteer management
- checklists for volunteering
- recruiting volunteers online
- developing volunteer projects
- mobilising communities
- governance and leadership
- submission writing, grants and funding
- event planning.
Register with Volunteering Queensland’s free Linkki Service, an online platform where you can connect with the volunteers you need.
Once registered, you will be able to create your organisation profile, place ads for your volunteering opportunities and interested volunteers will apply directly to you.