Join the Queensland Youth Strategy Engagement Group
- The opportunity
- Your commitment
- What’s in it for you?
- How to apply
- How your nomination will be assessed
- *COVID-19 Vaccination requirements
- Resources for organisations
- Further information
The Queensland Youth Strategy (QYS) outlines the Queensland Government’s vision to improve outcomes for young people.
With so much change since the current Queensland Youth Strategy was released in 2017, we’re developing a new youth strategy that considers the needs of today’s young Queenslanders. The COVID-19 pandemic has also had a particular impact on young people which needs to be considered.
Young Queenslanders are vital in shaping Queensland’s future, and we want your help to shape a new youth strategy for Queensland.
If you’re a Queenslander aged 12–25 years, we want to hear from you.
Nominations are now open, closing at 5pm Friday 1 July 2022.
A key commitment of the Queensland Government is ensuring young people are provided opportunities to have their say in shaping government policies, programs and services that impact them.
So, we’re looking for up to 20 young Queenslanders who have knowledge and understanding of key issues facing young people, and strong networks to:
- share your experiences and ideas to inform policy development and shape a new youth strategy
- share your thoughts on the best ways to engage young people to inform broader public consultation on the strategy
- assist in facilitating consultation through your peer networks.
This is your chance to be a voice for your generation and make meaningful change.
To nominate you must:
- be between the ages of 12 and 25 years (inclusive)
- have parental consent if aged under 18
- reside in Queensland.
You’ll be asked to participate in a number of engagement sessions expected to be held between July 2022 and February 2023.
Members will be expected to participate fully in discussions, attend sessions as scheduled and actively engage with their peer networks to facilitate consultation.
To enable members to work together from all corners of the state, sessions will be delivered virtually and tasks sent via email.
Although it is anticipated that sessions will be held online, there may be opportunities for face-to-face events*.
What’s in it for you?
Being part of the Youth Strategy Engagement Group means you will have the opportunity to:
- be an agent of change to drive outcomes for young Queenslanders
- meet and work with other likeminded passionate young people
- meet government representatives and be involved in a government policy development process
- become part of our extensive alumni for future youth engagement opportunities.
How to apply
We’re looking for young Queenslanders who are passionate about having their say and representing young people across the state.
If you meet the eligibility criteria and want to make a difference for you and your peers, we’d love to hear from you.
It’s important that members reflect the diversity of Queensland’s young people. Those who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, LGBTIQ+, culturally and linguistically diverse, those with disability and from regional and remote regions, are strongly encouraged to apply.
To nominate for the Youth Strategy Engagement Group:
- complete the nomination form
- attach a brief statement (maximum one page) explaining a little bit about yourself, your knowledge and understanding of key issues facing young people, and what strong networks you have with whom you can connect.
Nominations close at 5pm on Friday 1 July 2022.
How your nomination will be assessed
Nominations will be assessed by a selection panel. All successful and unsuccessful nominees will be advised in writing.
All young Queenslanders will be provided the opportunity to share their experiences and ideas to help shape the new youth strategy through the public consultation phase expected later in 2022.
*COVID-19 Vaccination requirements
In line with the Department of Environment and Science COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements – Policy & Procedure, members will be expected to be fully vaccinated if required to attend any face-to-face events or undertake peer network engagement on behalf of the Department of Environment and Science. You may be asked to provide evidence that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Resources for organisations
Download our free resources to help spread the word:
For further information regarding the Youth Strategy Engagement Group nomination process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.