Operating an approved inspection station
Approved inspection stations (AIS) conduct vehicle inspections and issue inspection certificates, including safety certificates and certificates of inspection, for the following vehicles:
- light vehicles—cars or light commercial vehicles up to and including 4.5t gross vehicle mass (GVM)
- light trailers—caravans and trailers over 0.75t aggregate trailer mass (ATM) up to and including 3.5t ATM
- heavy vehicles—vehicles over 4.5t GVM up to and including 16t GVM
- heavy trailers—caravans and trailers over 3.5t ATM up to and including 10t ATM
- motorbikes—motorbikes, trikes and mopeds
Read more about operating an AIS, including how you can make an application to become an AIS, a nominee or an approved examiner, and how to buy inspection certificate books.
View a list of vehicle inspection fees for:
- safety certificates (light vehicles, light trailers and motorbikes)
- certificates of inspection (heavy vehicles and heavy trailers).
Inspection certificates online
Some AIS now issue safety certificates and certificates of inspection electronically through the inspection certificates online (ICO) web portal and mobile app. In most cases, customers will no longer need to visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads to lodge their inspection certificate.
If your AIS would like to opt in to the ICO service please email email@example.com for more information.
Use the Find an AIS online service to find an AIS that issues online inspection certificates.