Check if you are eligible for the Emerging Athlete Pathways
Currently applications can only be made and processed after participation at the event. Applications can be accepted for events that have been held in the last 6 months.
Future events listed on this website are subject to change. Events will be updated once confirmation is received from the event organiser. Please contact the event organiser if there are discrepancies with the online information.
Emerging Athlete Pathways aims to foster the development of young athletes and support elite athlete pathways by providing financial assistance to help alleviate the costs associated with attending championship events. The subsidy provides financial assistance through 3 event tiers and supports attendance at specific state, national and international events.
Officials (such as coaches, referees and scorers) officiating at eligible events can also apply for assistance if they meet the eligibility criteria.
Who is eligible?
Applicants eligible to apply for support are those who:
- have been selected or have competed or officiated (as a coach, referee or scorer) at an eligible Queensland state or state school event, Australian national or national school event or international event
- are residents of Queensland for at least 12 months preceding the event
- are under the age of 18 at the start of the event
- travel a road distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check road distances using RACQ’s trip planner)
- travel by air or rail a radial distance of at least 250 kilometres (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check radial distances)
- have participation at the event confirmed by the regional/state/national coach or manager
- have not received departmental funding for attendance at an event under this event tier within the last 2 calendar years (this includes funding from the Young Athletes Travel Subsidy).
- Applications must be correctly submitted within 6 months of the event start date.
- Applications will be audited to confirm selection and/or attendance.
What funding is available?
The subsidy will allow up to a maximum of $1,200 in financial assistance over the 3 event tiers, once every 2 calendar years. Eligible athletes and officials can apply for 1 event per tier, once every 2 calendar years.
For example, A) if an applicant attends a state and international event in 2019, they are able to apply for a national event without waiting 2 years. B) if the applicant applies for all 3 event tiers in 2019 they must wait until 2021 before being eligible again.
The following subsidy amounts are available under the 3 event tiers:
- state or state school event—$200
- national or national school event—$400
- international event—$600.
Lodging an application does not guarantee funding.