Skip links and keyboard navigation

The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.

Data and research

If you want to conduct research within the correctional system you must get permission before you start.

To do research you must be:

  • an academic employed by a higher education institution
  • a Masters or PhD student
  • a corrective services employee doing post graduate study.

Public information is available to help you with assignments or other questions if you are:

  • a school student
  • an undergraduate
  • an honours student.

Prisoners and offenders in custody are not allowed to do research involving contact with other prisoners, offenders or corrective services officers.

Applying to conduct independent research

First you should discuss your proposal with us. Contact or phone (07) 3006 4103.

To apply for permission to do research you must submit an Application to Conduct Research.

More information on the research committee process can be found by reading Procedure – Conducting Research.

Once we have considered your application, we will advise you of the decision in writing.

After approval

If we approve your application you must:

  • provide proof of ethics committee clearance before you can start
  • sign a Deed of Agreement which will state any conditions attached to the research approval. These may include confidentiality or getting approval before you publish your research.
  • have a criminal history check. If a criminal history is identified during the check, you will need to seek a waiver to continue with the research.

You must tell a corrective services officer immediately if during your research you get information that leads you to reasonably believe that a prisoner or offender:

  • has committed an offence that they have not already been charged with
  • is planning to commit a serious offence.

More information



Data on Queensland prisoners, offenders and prisons is publically available in datasets.

Annual reports and service delivery statements

We report on our achievements each year through annual reports and service delivery statements. These provide information on corrective services initiatives.


Australian Bureau of Statistics

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is Australia’s official statistical organisation. It reports on key corrective services data from all states and territories in the following publications:

Productivity Commission

The Productivity Commission reports on the performance of corrective services across Australia in its annual Report on Government Services.

Volume C includes information on the justice system, with Chapter 8 including data which compares corrective services in each state and territory.

Australian Institute of Criminology

The Australian Institute of Criminology is Australia’s national research and knowledge centre on crime and justice. Its website has free, evidence-based research relevant to corrective services.

Corrective services in other states and territories


Last updated
25 September 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.