Complaints about lawyers

If you are using the services of a lawyer or law firm in Queensland, and you are not happy with their service, you can make a complaint.

Before you make a complaint, you should talk to your lawyer first and try to resolve the issue directly.

Complain to the Legal Services Commission

If you have spoken to your lawyer about your concerns and you are still not happy with their response, you can contact the Legal Services Commission.

We are the only body that deals with complaints about lawyers, law practice employees and unlawful operators in Queensland.

Types of complaints

We assess and deal with:

  • consumer disputes (e.g. delays, costs, rudeness)
  • conduct complaints
    • unsatisfactory professional conduct (e.g. failure to follow instructions, poor service)
    • professional misconduct (e.g. fraud, conflict of interest, serious overcharging).

The Legal Profession Act 2007 (QLD) describes how lawyers need to act and the standards they need to meet. Read more about the types of complaints you can make against a lawyer or law firm.

How to make a complaint

To make a complaint, you can either complete a complaint form or write to the commission.

Download a form

Download and complete a complaint form. If you can’t download the complaint form, contact us for a copy.

Remember to sign the declaration on the back of the form and attach copies of any relevant documents. Do not send any original documents.

Write to the commission

Write to us with details of your complaint by post or email. You must identify yourself and the person or law firm and describe the event or conduct that you are concerned about.

Provide as much detail as possible to support your complaint.

Send your complaint

By post

Legal Services Commission
PO Box 10310

By email

Email with your written complaint or by attaching the completed form.

How we handle complaints

We deal with complaints depending on how serious we consider the complaint to be. For example, we can take lawyers to court if we believe they are guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct or professional misconduct.

Read more about how we assess and process complaints.

If you don’t agree with a decision

If you don’t agree with a decision, you should contact us in writing with the reasons why you disagree. We may reconsider your case.

You can make a complaint against the commission if you are still not satisfied.

More information