Complain about noisy neighbours

Noise is a very common cause of disputes between neighbours. If you can, try to sort the problem out with your neighbour before going to the police, council or your body corporate.

It’s always best to find a solution to the problem directly and keep on speaking terms.

Think about the best way to raise the issue with them. Be constructive and suggest ways to solve the problem, rather than just complaining, blaming them or demanding they keep the noise down.

For example, if your neighbour likes tinkering with their motorbike early on Sunday morning—which may be the only day you get to sleep in—suggest they do it later in the day.

You may want to write to them stating the problem, but it’s often best to talk to them face to face first.

Neighbourhood problems can be very upsetting and generate a lot of emotion, so when talking to them:

  • stay calm
  • explain how the problem is affecting you
  • give your neighbour a chance to tell their side of the story
  • be prepared to listen and let the other person know you are listening
  • try working on a resolution together
  • take time to work on a solution and get it right.

Free mediation kits and mediation sessions

The Neighbourhood Mediation Kit provides tips on how to resolve neighbour issues like noise complaints, as well providing advice on formal mediation options.

Dispute Resolution Centres also provide free mediation sessions for neighbours to resolve disputes without having to go to court.

Making a noise complaint

Depending on the type of noise, you’ll need to complain to different organisations.

Noise from audible traffic lights, schools, road works and planes is allowed within certain levels.

Loud music and parties

Call Triple Zero 000 if the noise you are hearing is:

  • about domestic or other violence
  • from a party that is getting out of control.

Complain online about a noise or party

Contact Policelink on 131 444 if you cannot use the online form to complain about a party, loud music or other noise.

Noisy dogs

You should try talking to the dog’s owner first, to make sure that they are aware of the problem and to see if they can do something about it.

If this doesn’t work, you can complain to your local council and they will investigate—if necessary, issue an abatement notice to the dog’s owner.

If a dog owner does not comply with the abatement notice, they can be fined.

Read more about barking dogs in the neighbourhood.

Hoons, burnouts and street racing

Use the online form if you’ve seen hoon behaviour and have a valid email address.

Report a hoon online

Call Policelink on 134 666 (13HOON) or contact your local police station if you cannot report it online.

Loud vehicles

For complaints about noisy vehicles, call Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80.

You’ll be asked to give the vehicle inspectors a registration number and a description of the vehicle.

If the noisy vehicle is off the road—call Policelink on 131 444.

Loud pubs and clubs

For complaints about noisy pubs and clubs, visit our complaints page.