Resolving dividing fence disputes with QCAT

If you own a property and are having a dispute with a neighbour over a dividing fence, you can get help from the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) to resolve it.

Before problems become disputes

We strongly recommend that you to try to come to a friendly agreement with your neighbour to avoid a legal dispute and keep your neighbourly relations intact. Find out how to avoid problems turning into disputes .

The best way to avoid a legal dispute with your neighbour is to know your rights and responsibilities regarding fences on properties, and to talk to your neighbour about the issue with respect.

Get some advice on how to approach your neighbour about an issue.

Types of dividing fence disputes

There are 2 types of dividing fence disputes:

  • minor civil disputes—about dividing fences
  • minor civil disputes—about debt. If your dispute relates to recovering a debt for fencing work based on an agreed amount (up to $25,000), your dispute is a minor debt. Visit debt disputes for more information on the minor debt application process.

Making your application

Before you apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) for help to resolve a dividing fence dispute, make sure you read the application checklist (PDF, 188.8 KB).

To apply:

Application fee

Amount being claimedApplication fee
Less than $500, or none$25.45
More than $500, but not more than $1,000$65.40
More than $1,000 but not more than $10,000$116.40
More than $10,000$326.80

Lodging your application

You can lodge your application by post, or in person.

By post

Post your application to:
Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT)
GPO Box 1639

In person

Visit the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) office to lodge your application.
Level 9, Bank of Queensland building
259 Queen St
Brisbane QLD 4000

If you do not live in Brisbane, you can lodge your application at your local Magistrates Court.

How it works

Once QCAT gets your application and supporting documents, QCAT will return a copy stamped with the QCAT seal.

What happens next depends on your individual circumstances.

You may receive notice to attend:

  • mediation
  • a directions hearing
  • a compulsory conference
  • a hearing.

Learn more about neighbourhood mediation.

Further information