How to apply for financial assistance

You can apply for financial assistance from Victim Assist Queensland if you have been a victim of an act of violence in Queensland. This includes domestic and family violence.

You need to apply for financial assistance within 3 years of the act of violence.

If you are unable to apply within 3 years, you need to tell us why. There is a section on the application form to explain your reason.

We will consider your reason(s) and decide whether an extension of time can be granted.

If you have not already done so, you should read what is available and who can apply.

On this page

Step 1 - Report the crime

If you have not already done so, you need to report the violence to police. If you are a special primary victim, you can report to police or your doctor, psychologist, counsellor or domestic and family violence worker instead.

You may also need to apply for financial assistance/compensation from another organisation or insurance agencies before you apply to us.

Work-related violence

If the violence happened at work, on the way to or from work, or while on a work break, you must apply for workers’ compensation. Your claim needs to be finalised before applying to us. Special conditions apply.

If you have not already done so, contact WorkCover or your employer’s nominated workers’ compensation provider.

Include your claim reference number and information about any payments on your application form.

If you are self-employed, a sole trader, or business owner and you are not self-insured, contact us for advice.

Violence involving a motor vehicle

If you have been a victim of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing grievous bodily harm, you must make a claim to the relevant compulsory third party insurance provider or apply to the National Injury Insurance Scheme Queensland (NIISQ) before applying to us.

If your family member died from the dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, you must make a claim to the relevant compulsory third party insurance provider before applying to us.

Include your claim reference number and information about any payments on your application form.

Insurance claims

Some victims of violence may be able to make a claim under their medical, travel, income protection or other insurance policy.

If you do this, you need to include your claim reference number and information about any payments on your application form.

Step 2 - Lodge an application

Complete the form

Complete an approved financial assistance application form.

You may find it easier to gather the information you need before you start filling in the form. You will need to include:

  • the victim’s full name, date of birth and place of birth
  • contact details for the victim and the applicant (if the victim is not applying themselves)
  • the date of the violence (or the date range) and the suburb, city or region it happened
  • information about who you reported the violence to (e.g. your QP number)
  • insurance/compensation claim reference numbers and information about any payments
  • your bank details.

You can name another person as support or a second contact person, such as a family member, friend or support service worker. If you do, you will need their contact details. Make sure you talk to the person about it beforehand.

Include supporting documents


To be eligible for financial assistance, we need evidence of an injury. We can consider a broad range of injuries that are a direct result of the crime.

Ask your health practitioner to complete our medical certificate, or include other medical records, such as a hospital discharge summary or a letter from a doctor.

If you can’t provide evidence of injury with your application, we can (with your consent) gather evidence from a range of sources, including:

  • emergency services notes (e.g. Queensland Police & Queensland Ambulance Services)
  • Child Safety Services documents (e.g. paediatrician reports, clinical forensic reports)
  • Queensland Health documents (e.g. medical records, discharge summaries, clinical forensic reports)
  • Queensland Courts information (e.g. documents provided to court in support of a private application for a protection order)
  • registered health practitioner reports or counsellor notes
  • case notes from your domestic and family violence or sexual assault service.


If you need help with expenses related to your medical care, counselling, safety or security, it may speed up the application process if you include copies of relevant:

  • medical certificates
  • treatment plans
  • quotes, invoices or receipts.

Loss of earnings

If claiming lost earnings, you need to supply a copy of your medical certificate confirming you were/are unable to work because of the violence, as well as information about your pay from before and after the violence.

Urgent and immediate expenses

If you have reasonable recovery expenses, that are both urgent and immediate, we may be able to grant you up to $6,000 for those expenses. We will try to assess these applications and pay for approved expenses as soon as possible.

You must include evidence of your urgent and immediate expenses (e.g. medical treatment plans, receipts, invoices and quotes) or your loss of earnings information (e.g. payslips and medical certificates).

Send your application


Post:  GPO Box 149, Brisbane, QLD 4001

Fax:   07 3109 1901

How long it will take to process your application

We will begin assessing your application when it arrives but the assessment process can be lengthy.

We may need to cross-check information with other agencies, such as police, courts and health providers. This process can take a number of months.

Applications are assessed based on your recovery needs and individual circumstances, they are not based on your earning ability or financial hardship.

Find out more about how we assess your application.