Report a stolen, damaged or abandoned vehicle

Abandoned vehicles

If you report an abandoned, unregistered vehicle, the council will try to find the owner. If no owner claims the vehicle, the council will remove it.

Contact your local council to report an abandoned unregistered vehicle.

Contact the police if you believe that a registered vehicle has been abandoned or is parked in a hazardous way.

Your vehicle

It is an offence to leave a vehicle (a car, truck or motorbike) on the roadway or footpath once the vehicle registration has expired.

Once your vehicle registration expires, move your vehicle onto private property to avoid an infringement and possible removal of your vehicle by the council.

If your vehicle is registered and is not parked illegally or dangerously, it won’t be considered abandoned.

Stolen and damaged vehicles

If the crime is happening now and you are in immediate danger, call Triple Zero (000).

However, if the crime has already occurred and it is unlikely that the offender is still in the area, call Policelink on 13 14 44.