Skip links and keyboard navigation

Changing your name

In Queensland, you can change your legal name once every 12 months if you are over 18. If your application is approved, you will need to change your name everywhere you do business in the community.

You can apply to change your name if you were:

  • born or adopted in Queensland
  • born or adopted overseas and have lived in Queensland for the past 12 months.

If you were born or adopted in another Australian state or territory, you need to apply to the registering authority interstate.

In most cases, you do not need to apply to change your name if you are changing your name through marriage.

Fill in the change of name application form

Rules for changing your name

To change your name:

  • your new name must not be a prohibited name
  • you must give a detailed reason for your name change—for example, your mother might have remarried and you want to have the new family name, or your current name might be difficult for people to spell and pronounce. Writing ‘personal’ or ‘passport’ is not enough and we may return your application
  • if you are in the custody of corrective services, you must get written approval from the Chief Executive before applying to change your name. Failing to do so is a criminal offence.

Prohibited names

The Registrar-General may refuse to register a name that is:

  • obscene
  • offensive
  • too long
  • not in public interest
  • a statement (e.g. Save Mother Earth).

Documents you will need to provide

You must be able to provide proof of ID and supporting documents.

If you or your parents have previously changed your names, evidence is required, such as a marriage certificate, family deed poll document, birth certificate or change of name document.

If you were born or adopted overseas, you also need to provide:

  • a copy of your birth certificate (if the original birth certificate is not in English, please have it translated into English by an accredited translator)
  • a copy of your citizenship certificate (if applicable)
  • evidence that you have lived in Queensland for the past 12 months, such as a letter written on letterhead, that is dated and signed by your employer, doctor, educational institution or the Australian Electoral Commission. The letter should state how long you have lived in Queensland and how long the person or organisation has known you.

Certified and translated identity documents

If you are not applying in person, you must have your supporting documents certified by a qualified Justice of the Peace or another authorised person before you post them to us.

For documents that are not in English, you must provide a translation from a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

How to apply

To apply to change your name, you need to:

  1. Read and understand the rules.
  2. Complete, download and print the change of name application form.
  3. Attach your certified proof of ID documents.
  4. Attach your certified evidence of residency, if required.
  5. Attach the correct certified supporting documents, as required.
  6. Get an adult to witness your signature on the declaration section of the application form.
  7. Pay the application fee.
  8. Submit your application form and supporting documents to us by post or at the counter.

By post

Post your completed application form with your certified documents to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

In person

Visit the Brisbane registry counter at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane and bring your completed application form, your original proof of ID and other supporting documents (such as evidence of residency, if born overseas).

Pay the fee

You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure to pay the correct amount.
You can pay:

  • at the counter
    • by EFTPOS or credit card
    • with cash
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order
  • through the mail
    • by credit card
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order.

Make cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.

We do not accept personal cheques.

Application fees

Change of name (includes 1 birth or change of name certificate) $177.40
Additional birth or change of name certificate $46.60

Urgent application fee

We process standard change of name applications in 7 business days. You can pay an additional $93.15 fee to get your application processed urgently—within 3 working days.

Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can request to have your certificate posted by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $6.10
Registered mail $4.90
International registered post $15.90

Fill in the change of name application form

Contact us

Email, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.

Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3405 0985 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.

Get the PDF form

If you are unable to complete the application form online, you can use the PDF application form and apply by post or in person.

Get the change of name over 18 years application form

Get a change of name certificate

If you have already registered a change of name and need a new certificate apply by post or in person with proof of ID.

Fill in a change of name certificate application form

What next?

If your application is approved, you will need to contact every organisation you have a personal account with.

Start by making a list. Your list may include:

  • passport
  • driver licence
  • car registration
  • bank accounts
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Australian Electoral Commission enrolment
  • Medicare
  • insurance policies
  • doctors/dentist
  • superannuation
  • your will
  • subscriptions
  • memberships
  • others
Last updated
18 January 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.