Changing your child's first names within a year of birth

You can change your child’s first names with us once before their first birthday if they were born or adopted in Queensland.

You will need to use a different application form if you want to change their:

If your child was born or adopted in Australia but outside of Queensland, you need to apply to the interstate registering authority.

If your application is approved, you will need to change your child's name everywhere they are registered within the community.

Documents you will need to provide

You must provide:

  • certified proof of ID for both parents (read the rules below if you are a single parent or a legal guardian)
  • evidence explaining why if your name or the child’s current name is different to the name on their birth certificate, such as
    • marriage certificate
    • family deed poll document
    • change of name document.

Your application will not be approved if:

Detailed rules and requirements are outlined in our change of name and prohibited name policies.

Rules for changing your child’s first names

To change your child’s first names before their first birthday, you must:

  • not have changed their first names before
  • have consent from the parents shown on your child’s birth certificate
  • choose a new name that is not a prohibited name.

Who can apply

If both parents are shown on a child's birth certificate, we need both parents' consent to change the child’s name.

If you are a single parent, you can apply to change your child’s name if one of the following applies:

  • you are the child’s mother and there are no details for your child’s father on the birth certificate
  • you have a Queensland Magistrates Court order that specifies the child's name on their birth certificate and the proposed new name
  • one parent is deceased—a death certificate will be required (if outside of Queensland).

If you are a legal guardian (i.e. you have been appointed under the law of a state or the Australian Government), you can apply to change the child’s name if you have both:

  • evidence of legal guardianship issued by a court
  • a Queensland Magistrates Court order that specifies the child's name on their birth certificate and the proposed new name.

Contact your nearest Queensland Magistrates Court for more information on getting an order.

How to apply

To apply to change your child’s first names, you need to:

  1. Read and understand the rules above.
  2. Complete, download and print the change a child's first names application form.
  3. Attach certified proof of ID for both parents and the correct certified supporting documents, as required.
  4. Have another adult (18 or older) witness your signature(s) on the declaration section of the application form.
  5. Pay the fee.
  6. Submit your signed application form, supporting documents and payment to us by post or in person.

Fill in the change your child's first names application form

Submit by post

Post your completed application form with your certified documents and payment to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

Submit in person

Visiting the Brisbane registry customer service centre at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane and bring your completed application form, original proof of ID and supporting documents.

Pay the fee

You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure you pay the correct amount.
You can pay:

  • at the customer service centre
    • by EFTPOS or credit card
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order
  • through the mail
    • within Australia
      • by credit card
      • with a business account cheque
      • with a bank cheque
      • with a money order
    • from overseas
      • by credit card.

We will accept cash at the customer service centre but prefer contactless payments such as EFTPOS or credit card.

We do not accept personal cheques or cheques issued from outside Australia (in any currency).

Make Australian-drawn cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.

Application fees

Change your child’s first names before they turn 1 $24.50
Official birth certificate (standard postage included) $54.40
Commemorative birth certificate package (1 official birth certificate and standard postage included) $70.70

Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can choose to have your certificate sent by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $7.45
Registered post $5.55
International registered mail $17.70

We value identity protection, so we recommend that you choose registered post to ensure the delivery of your certificate can be tracked and delivered to you more securely within Australia.

International registered mail is used for overseas deliveries. However, this can’t be tracked and signing on delivery is only available in some countries.

Contact us

Online: our general enquiry form.

By phone: local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines are open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.