Skip links and keyboard navigation

Changing your child's first names within a year of birth

You can change your child’s first names with us once before their first birthday—if they were born or adopted in Queensland.

If your application is approved, you will need to change your child's name everywhere they are registered within the community.

Find out how to apply to change your child’s first names after they have turned 1, or how to change your child’s family name.

If your child was born or adopted in Australia but outside of Queensland, you need to apply to the registering authority interstate.

Fill in the change your child's first names application form

Rules for changing your child’s first names

To change your child’s first names:

  • the names must not have been changed before
  • your child must be younger than 1 year
  • both parents on your child’s birth certificate must consent to changing the name
  • the new name must not be a prohibited name.

Prohibited names

It is your right to choose your child’s first names and family name. However, the Registrar-General may refuse to register a name that is:

  • obscene
  • offensive
  • too long
  • not in public interest
  • a statement (e.g. Save Mother Earth).

Who can apply

If both parents are shown on a child’s birth certificate, we normally need both parents’ consent to change a child’s name.

If you are a single parent, you can apply to change your child’s name if one of the following is relevant to your circumstances:

  • you are the child’s mother and there are no details for your child’s father on the birth certificate
  • you have a Queensland Magistrates Court order
  • one parent is deceased. A death certificate will be required.

If you are a legal guardian, you can apply to change the child’s name if you have:

  • evidence of legal guardianship, plus
  • a Queensland Magistrates Court order.

Please contact us for more information on getting an order.

Documents you will need to provide

Both parents (or legal guardians) must be able to provide proof of ID and supporting documents. If you have changed your name since your child’s birth, you must provide documents that show this—a marriage certificate, family deed poll document, or birth or change of name document.

If only one of the parents shown on your child’s birth certificate is applying, you will need evidence to support this.

How to apply

To apply to change your child’s first names, you need to:

  1. Read and understand the rules.
  2. Complete, download and print the change of child's first names application form.
  3. Attach your certified proof of ID documents.
  4. Attach the correct certified supporting documents, as required.
  5. Get another adult to witness your signatures on the declaration section of the application form.
  6. Pay the application fee.
  7. Submit your application form and documents to us by post or at the counter.

By post

Post your completed application form with your certified documents to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

In person

Visit the Brisbane registry customer service centre at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane with your completed application form and your original proof of ID and supporting documents (for both parents).

Pay the fee

You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure to pay the correct amount.
You can pay:

  • at the customer service centre
    • by EFTPOS or credit card
    • with cash
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order
  • through the mail
    • by credit card
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order.

Make cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.

We do not accept personal cheques.

Application fees

Change your child’s first names before they turn 1 $21.05

Certificate fees

Certificate (standard postage included) $46.60
Commemorative birth certificate and birth certificate (standard postage included) $61.00

Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can request to have your certificate posted by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $6.10
Registered mail $4.90
International registered post $15.90

Fill in the change your child's first names application form

Contact us

Email, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.

Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3405 0985 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.

Get the PDF form

If you are unable to complete the application form online, you can get the PDF application form and apply by post or in person.

Get the changing your child's first names within a year of birth application form

What next?

If you application is approved, you will need to contact every organisation your child is registered with.

Start by making a list. Your list may include:

  • Medicare
  • doctors
  • insurance policies
  • your will
  • bank accounts
  • others
Last updated
18 November 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.