Rent arrears

As a tenant, you must ensure the rent is always paid on time.

If you have any problems paying your rent, talk to your nearest Housing Office to make a repayment arrangement.

If you don’t pay your rent , you may receive notices from us.

Notice to remedy breach

If your rent account is more than 2 weeks late or you break your repayment agreement, you may receive a Notice to remedy breach. This notice gives you 16 days to pay your rent arrears or make a repayment agreement.

If you don’t pay your rent arrears or make a repayment agreement with Housing staff within 16 days, we may issue you with a Notice to leave.

If you have already broken your repayment agreement, talk to Housing staff as soon as possible or we may issue you with a ‘Notice to leave’.

Notice to leave

Housing staff will always work with you to help you manage your rent arrears.

If you receive this notice, you have 18 days to pay your rent owing or move out of the house.

If you receive a Notice to leave, talk to Housing staff as soon as possible.

Support we provide you

We will work with you to determine why you may have difficulty paying your rent and provide support to help you pay your rent.

We will do this by linking you to budgeting programs, financial support services and other housing support programs.

We will also engage in culturally appropriate strategies with local councils, traditional owners, elders and the community to deliver services in line with local traditions and protocols.

Termination order

If you don’t pay your rent or move out of the house by the date stated on the ‘Notice to leave’, we will apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) to end your tenancy.

QCAT will tell you the date of your hearing. You can attend and explain to the tribunal member why you haven’t paid your rent.

The tribunal member will make a judgement. If the decision is in our favour, your tenancy will be terminated and you’ll be ordered to leave the property.

Warrant of possession

If you don’t move out within the time set by the tribunal member, a warrant of possession of the premises is issued.

We then ask the police to serve the warrant. This means you and your belongings will be removed from the property, and the locks will be changed.

More information

Please talk to Housing staff if you have questions about managing your rent or rent arrears. Find your nearest office (PDF, 136KB).