Repairs to your house

Information for Queensland tenants in remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.

If something in your house needs fixing, you need to request maintenance.

What is fair wear and tear?

It is normal that things in your house will break over time because they’re old or worn out. This is called 'fair wear and tear'.

We won’t charge you for the costs of these repairs.

Examples of fair wear and tear are leaking taps and wobbly steps.

What is unfair wear and tear?

If you, someone who lives with you or your visitors damage the home, this is called 'unfair wear and tear'.

We will fix the damage, but you’ll need to pay for the repairs.

Examples of unfair wear and tear are:

  • someone punching or kicking a hole in the wall
  • children accidentally breaking a window while playing.

Important: Even if the damage is accidental, you need to pay for the repairs.

What is a breach notice?

A tenant receives a breach notice when they break the rules that are listed in the tenancy agreement.

You are responsible for keeping the house in good condition.

If your house is damaged on purpose and you receive a breach notice, you have 16 days to fix the damage yourself or contact the Maintenance Call Centre to report the damages.

If you want more information about repairs to your house, please talk to Housing staff.

Useful information