Queensland state housing loan
Information for Queensland public housing tenants only.
This loan is to help you buy the government-owned property you are renting. You must be a tenant and intend to continue living in the home. Not all Queensland Government properties are for sale.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the loan you must:
- be an existing housing tenant
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- not own or part-own another property
- have a good credit history
- have no other significant debts
- have enough savings to cover the $2,000 deposit and loan fees (legal fees, stamp duty, insurance fees etc)
- be able to afford the loan repayments without hardship.
Applying for the loan
Contact our loan hotline to apply or receive more information;
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1300 654 322 Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm
- Loans and Debt Management
Department of Housing and Public Works Post
GPO Box 690
BRISBANE QLD 4001
How does the loan work?
The loan is for owner-occupiers. As long as you stay living in the home you are entitled to a discount on your interest rate and safeguards against steep interest rate rises through a capped interest rate in the early years of the loan.
The minimum deposit for the loan is $2,000.
How much will it cost me?
Apart from the deposit there are other costs involved in buying a home. These include legal fees, stamp duty, rates adjustment and mortgage registration fees. Your solicitor can give you an estimate of these costs.
There are additional costs that you will not pay when renting. These include:
- home insurance
- local government rates
- water charges
- repairs and maintenance
You must insure your home for the full term of the loan. Your maximum repayments will be no more than 35% of your agreed continued income.