Public dental services

Public dental services are delivered via a range of facilities including mobile dental clinics, school dental clinics and community dental clinics.



For adults and their dependants to be eligible for free public dental care they must be a Queensland resident and, where applicable, in receipt of benefits from any of the following concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink
  • Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • Queensland Seniors Card

Children and adolescents

For children to be eligible for free public dental care they must:

  • be a Queensland resident or attend a Queensland school; and,
  • be eligible for Medicare; and,
  • meet at least one of the following criteria:
    • be aged four years or older and have not completed Year 10; or,
    • be eligible for the Medicare Child Dental Benefits Schedule; or,
    • hold, or be listed as a dependent on, a valid Centrelink concession card

Public dental care for children may be provided on-site at schools through fixed or mobile dental clinics or at larger community dental clinics by teams including dentists, oral health therapists, dental therapists and dental assistants.

Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS)

CDBS is a dental benefits program by the Australian Government for eligible children that provides up to $1013 in benefits for basic dental services in either a public or private setting. This includes dental examinations, x-rays, cleaning, fissure sealing, fillings, root canal treatments and extractions. Benefits are not available for orthodontic or cosmetic dental work.

For children to be eligible for CDBS they must be:

  • 2 to 17 years old for at least 1 day that year
  • eligible for Medicare
  • getting an eligible payment, or have a parent getting a payment, from Centrelink at least once a year, including Family Tax Benefit Part A.

For more information about the CDBS, visit the Services Australia website.


Public dental services in Queensland are funded by the government and are provided free to eligible people. You are responsible for the cost of your transport to and from dental clinics.


Find your nearest public dental clinic.

Emergency dental

Learn what to do in a dental emergency.

More information

  • contact your dental practitioner
  • call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) for confidential health advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week