Purchasing, exchanging or allocating state land

Purchasing state land

You may apply to purchase unallocated state land at any time. You cannot apply if you are under 18, or seeking to purchase on behalf of someone under 18.

It is important that you read the policies listed on this page before proceeding.

If you wish to purchase an existing lease, you will need to apply for a conversion of lease. Land below the high-water mark cannot be purchased, but you can apply to lease it.

How to apply

Your application should include:

To avoid processing delays, read the forms carefully and include all required information.

Lodging your application

If you can't lodge your application online, apply through the PDF applications and lodge by emailing or by posting it to Department of Resources, PO Box 5318, Townsville QLD 4810.

Payment options

If a fee applies to your application, payment options are cheque (by post) or credit card.

Cheques should be made out to the 'Department of Resources' and marked 'not negotiable'.

Credit card payments are accepted over the phone.

We will send you a receipt once we have established that your application meets all requirements and has been properly made.

Contact us

If you have any questions about lodging your application or payment, contact:

How your application is assessed

We will assess your application against legislative requirements. We will seek the views of other stakeholders (e.g. state, regional and local agencies) and inspect the land if required.

Policies and legislation

Native title

Our review will also include an assessment of whether native title issues need to be addressed, and how this should be done. Depending on the outcome, you may be required to address native titles issues as a condition of the offer.

Granting without competition

During the assessment, we will consider the most appropriate use and tenure for the land and whether the land may be offered with or without competition.

The land may be granted without competition if the land is needed for a public purpose.

If the land is not needed for a public purpose, and the intended use is the most appropriate use of the land, the land may be granted without competition if one or more of the following apply:

  • the applicant is an adjoining registered owner or landholder and selling or leasing to anyone else would be considered inequitable
  • no other parties are likely to be interested in obtaining the land
  • the applicant held a significant interest in the land before it became unallocated state land
  • there is no dedicated access and the only practical access is through the applicant’s land.

Purchase price

The purchase price will be the market value for the land plus GST (if applicable).

What happens next?

Once we have received the advice of other stakeholders and all issues, including native title, have been investigated, we will send you a written notice.

If your application is successful, a written offer will set out the various conditions and requirements. You must complete the acceptance form and return it to us by the date specified or the offer will lapse.

The conditions may include:

  • payment of the purchase price
  • lodgement of a plan of survey, if needed
  • payment of all regulatory fees and charges.

The Governor in Council or the Minister for Resources grants the new tenure. Once you have accepted the offer and satisfied all conditions, we will seek approval to issue the tenure in your name.

In this guide:

  1. Purchasing state land
  2. Exchanging state land
  3. Applying to allocate or purchase a reservation in title

Print entire guide