Review of the Zoning Plan for Great Sandy Marine Park
The Department of Environment and Science is reviewing the Marine Parks (Great Sandy) Zoning Plan 2017. The zoning plan is subordinate legislation to the Marine Parks Act 2004 and was remade with minor administrative amendments in 2017 to ensure existing management arrangements are maintained while the review is undertaken. The remade zoning plan commenced on 1 September 2017.
The current review process involved public release of a discussion paper to inform the development of a draft zoning plan, which will be released for further public consultation prior to a final plan being developed.
An overview of the key stages in the review process can be seen below:
Information gathering and data analysis
- Gathering updated information on marine park values – ongoing
Discussion Paper and public consultation
- Discussion Paper preparation – complete
- Discussion Paper public consultation (14 January 2019 to 25 February 2019) – complete
- Discussion Paper submissions analysis
Read the discussion paper (PDF, 10.8MB).
Zoning plan review frequently asked questions (PDF, 384KB).
Draft revised Zoning Plan and public consultation
- Prepare revised Zoning Plan – this is where we are in the process
- Draft Zoning Plan released for public consultation
- Public submissions analysed.
Final Zoning Plan
- Legislative drafting
- New Zoning Plan takes effect
- Map product, brochures and other information released.
The end result of the review process will be a contemporary Zoning Plan, informed by available science, community feedback and other relevant considerations that will support the management of the marine park for a further 10 years.
For further information please contact the Department of Environment and Science (DES) by email Marine.Policy@des.qld.gov.au or by mail to:
Great Sandy Marine Park zoning plan review
Department of Environment and Science
PO Box 15187
City East QLD 4002
Read more about the Great Sandy Marine Park.