School fee waivers for dependant students
Dependant students of temporary visa holders that are enrolled in the Dependant Student Program may be eligible for a school fee waiver if they are experiencing financial hardship due to exceptional circumstances (e.g. death or serious illness of the main income earner).
About fee waivers
Applying for a fee waiver can result in:
- partial or full payment of school tuition fees
- a school fee payment plan (e.g. monthly payments or term by term).
Fees can generally only be waived for up to one school year at a time.
If your visa has conditions limiting the amount of study you can do (e.g. must not engage for more than 3 months, in any studies or training) we must apply them to the terms of the fee waiver.
Check your visa's conditions with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
Conditions on some student visas will exempt you from paying school fees for your child.
Check your eligibility
To be eligible for the fee waiver:
- you must hold a relevant visa type (the Fee Waiver for Dependent Students procedure lists the relevant visa types at the bottom of the page under "Definitions – Temporary visa holder")
- your child must be enrolled in a Queensland state school
- you need to prove you’re experiencing financial hardship due to exceptional circumstances (e.g. death or serious illness of the main income earner) or other circumstances at the absolute discretion of the Director-General or delegate.
The Fee Waiver for Dependent Students procedure has more information about assessment criteria relating to financial hardship due to exceptional circumstances.
Applying for a fee waiver
To apply for a fee waiver make sure you:
- Include passport, visa, and Confirmation of Enrolment details for you and your child.
- Have all your supporting documents handy—documents can include:
- bank statements
- Centrelink statements for a pension or allowance
- doctor or hospital letters
- death certificates
- domestic violence orders.
- Complete the fee waiver application form.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents to:
Fax: +61 7 3513 5783
Office of the Executive Director
Education Queensland International
Department of Education and Training
PO Box 15050
CITY EAST QLD 4002.
What happens next?
We will contact you with a decision within 2 to 3 weeks if your application is completed correctly.
Incorrect applications or those that need more information can take up to 6 weeks to assess. We will contact you during the assessment period to discuss your application.