Wages and entitlements
Wages and entitlements for apprentices or trainees are managed by the Fair Work Ombudsman and depend on the award or agreement you are employed under.
Use the Pay and Conditions Tool (P.A.C.T) online calculators to check your wages and awards or phone the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94.
Read about wages for school-based apprentices and trainees.
Most wages are calculated as a percentage of the tradesperson or adult wage.
Wages may vary depending on the following factors:
- years of school completed
- years of training
- type of apprenticeship or traineeship
- industry or job
- award, agreement or contract covering your employment.
In some industries, minimum wages apply for adult apprentices and trainees—but the age when an apprentice or trainee is considered an adult may differ from industry to industry.
Being paid for off-the-job training
You must be released from work without loss of pay to attend off-the-job training. In many cases you will be paid for all time spent training off-the-job, regardless of when or where it is done (even in some cases at home).
This may not apply to school-based apprentices and trainees.
Contact the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94 for more information.
As an apprentice or trainee you are eligible to receive the same entitlements as full-time employees.
- hours of work, overtime, penalty rates
- leave (sick leave, annual leave, parental leave, bereavement leave)
- allowances (e.g. tool allowance)
- termination of employment conditions.