Taxi Subsidy Scheme
The Taxi Subsidy Scheme (TSS) subsidises taxi travel—half of the total fare, up to a maximum of $25 per trip—for people with severe disabilities.
Taxi Subsidy Scheme membership lasts for a maximum of 5 years. To extend your membership, you must reapply before the expiry date.
If you have a temporary disability, membership could be from 6 to 12 months.
To be eligible you must be a permanent resident of Queensland and able to fully meet at least 1 of the 6 eligibility criteria listed below:
- Physical disability requiring dependence on a wheelchair for all mobility outside the home.
- Severe ambulatory problem that cannot functionally be improved and restricts walking to an extremely limited distance.
- Total loss of vision or severe visual impairment (both eyes).
- Severe and uncontrollable epilepsy with seizures involving loss of consciousness.
- Intellectual impairment or dementia resulting in the need to be accompanied by another person at all times for travel on public transport.
- Severe emotional and/or behaviour disorders with a level of disorganisation resulting in the need to be accompanied by another person at all times for travel on public transport.
How to apply
- Complete part A of the Taxi Subsidy Application Form*
- Provide 2 passport size photos.
- Visit your doctor or specialist and have them complete parts B and C of the application form.
- Mail the completed application with the photographs to:
Taxi Subsidy Unit
Department of Transport and Main Roads
PO Box 13347
BRISBANE QLD 4003
*You can download and print the form here:
- Taxi subsidy application form (PDF, 268KB)
- This form is not currently available as an RTF—please call 1300 134 755 if the PDF form is not accessible to you.
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The NDIS is the new way of providing support for people with disability and is how Queenslanders with disability will receive their disability supports once the NDIS is rolled out in their location.
On 15 July 2017, the Queensland Government announced that it will continue to provide the Taxi Subsidy Scheme for NDIS participants.
People who lost their eligibility to the subsidy because they transitioned to the NDIS will have their membership restored until the end of June 2019. You do not have to reapply and your new card will be mailed to you.
More information on reinstating your membership and frequently asked questions are available on the Department of Transport and Main Roads website. This includes information for people who access the subsidy who are living in areas where the NDIS is not yet available but coming soon.
To find out more about the Taxi Subsidy Scheme, call the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 1300 134 755.