Using technology at home
What is assistive technology?
Assistive technology is an aid, device or system that helps a person:
- manage their home environment such as electronic devices which control lights, temperature, doors, curtains or windows
- move around their home
- carry out everyday activities such as bathing, getting dressed and preparing food
- stay safe by using emergency calling or location devices.
Things to consider
- How much does it cost to buy, maintain or repair the item?
- Is training needed to use the item?
- Is it easy to use the item (some people stop using a device if it is hard to use when compared to the benefits received)?
- Does the item rely on an internet connection (an internet connection may not always be available)?
- Does the item have “Smart” technology that can customise responses to the user’s needs?
- Are there electronic devices (such as computers, tablets and smartphones) available that might suit a person with disability (for example voice activated controls, predictive text, adjustments for size of image, and spoken or auditory cues)?
- Is there a simple or cheap option available? Some smart phone apps or tools can make a significant difference in daily life of a person with disability.
- Ability Technology—user videos of how people with disability are using technology in their daily lives.
- Aids, equipment and assistive technologies—information about types of aids and equipment, equipment providers, buying from overseas, help with costs, and who to contact for advice.
- LifeTec—specialist information and advice to maximise the independence and safety of people with disability.
- Medical aids and equipment—find out about subsidy schemes coordinated by the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS).
- Community Care Smart AT collaborative—a platform for Community Care providers to collaborate, learn and access local, state, national and international resources and expertise.
- Christopher Hills finds a solution to open an electric door with his iPhone and gives an overview of 3 ways switch control can work to suit different needs.