Signs of problem gambling
If someone displays the following behavioural changes, it may indicate they have a gambling problem:
- spending more time or money than intended
- arguing with family and friends after gambling
- after losing at gambling, having an urge to return as soon as possible to win back losses
- feeling guilty or remorseful about gambling
- borrowing money or selling assets to gamble
- obtaining money to gamble through illegal means
- missing work or other commitments to gamble
- hiding the extent of their gambling.
Responsible gambling tips
The key to being a responsible gambler is to stay in control and remember that gambling is just a game.
These tips may help:
- Don't let the game play you.
- Don’t gamble to escape stress or boredom.
- Set yourself a limit and don’t exceed it.
- Don’t chase your losses. Leave. Walk away.
- Gamble only what you can afford to lose.
- Never borrow money to gamble.
- Stay in control and think of the people who need your support.