Skip links and keyboard navigation

Water subsidy

Eligible pensioners can receive a subsidy of up $120 (maximum) each year off the cost of water access and usage charges for properties in the South East Queensland Water Grid.

The subsidy is allowed on only one property at a time and cannot be claimed on any additional properties you may have. 


To receive the subsidy, you must hold 1 of the following concession cards:

You must also be:

  • the owner or life tenant* of the property, which is your principal place of residence and located in the South East Queensland Water Grid area.
  • legally responsible for the payment of local council rates and charges levied on that property.

*A life tenancy can only be created by a valid will and is effective only after the death of the property owner, or by a Supreme or Family Court order.

How to apply

Each water retailer has its own application process. Contact your water retailer to apply for a water subsidy.

If you're uncertain who your water retailer is, check your water account for their details. Otherwise check which water retailer covers your area.

Change of address

You must lodge a new application with the water retailer in your area if you change your address.

 If you're not sure who to contact, check which water retailer covers your area.

Your water retailer may be contacting you soon

If you currently receive a Water Subsidy, your water retailer may write to you requesting you provide your written consent to undertake a verification process of your eligibility with Centrelink, Department of Veteran Affairs or other Australian or State government departments.

Verification checks are a standard procedure and ensure that those eligible to receive this concession continue to receive it.

For more information please contact your water retailer.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last updated:
14 June 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.